Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Asus
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am going crazy trying to get rid of an old printer I use to have from the Android Tablet wifi-settings.  I now have a new HP printer and just don't want to see the old one still being displayed in the wifi settings.  It even seems to connect to it witch is blizzard because it doesn't even exit any more.

Does anyone know how to delete that printer?

Things  I have tried,

Click on "Forget"

Uninstalled the HP Service Plug in and the reinstalled it.

Set my new HP printer as default printer.

Set my tablet back to factory settings. 

Afterwards is showed up agiain.

It is an HP 7640

My new one is an HP 5544

Why does it continue to populate?

Any suggestions,

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That printer is using Wifi Direct to broadcast it's own wifi "Hotspot" - that's why you can see it on two different devices.

(I was thinking this might be the cause, but waited for another to reply!). 😉

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Tplayer07, welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out.

I understand that you are unable to delete the old printer completely from the computer.

Don't worry as I have a few steps that should help fix this issue.

And here's the step by step guide for you in the link: Uninstalling the Printer Software (Windows)

Let me know how that works.

I hope you have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

@Tplayer07, welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out.

I understand that you are unable to delete the old printer completely from the Android Tablet.

Don't worry as I have a few steps that should help fix this issue.

And here's the step by step guide for you listed below.

1. On your Android device, tap Settings .

2. Tap More, More networks, More settings, or NFC and sharing, and then tap Print or Printing.

3. Tap HP Inc., and then tap More.

4. Tap Add printer, and then tap Manage printers.

5. Find the printer you want to edit or remove, and then press and hold the printer name until the Manage printers menu displays.

6. Tap Modify to edit the printer name or update the printer IP address, or tap Forget printer to remove the printer.

Let me know how that works.

I hope you have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended
Rainbow23,
Thank you for the reply and the detailed post on how to remove unwanted printers from your device list.

After following your instructions to the letter this printer still shows up under my Wi-Fi networks along with a host of others that I assume belong to my closest Neighbors.

Therefore I am now convinced that this is a printer that also belongs to a neighbor that is being populated along with all the other networks that show up that are in range of my modem.

After checking my wife's phone and my phone Samsung 7s Edge I can see that this very same printer continues to show up there as well.

This is exactly how it appears

DIRECT-B8-HP ENVY 7640 SERIES

What is your take on new information?
Regards,
Tplayer
HP Recommended

That printer is using Wifi Direct to broadcast it's own wifi "Hotspot" - that's why you can see it on two different devices.

(I was thinking this might be the cause, but waited for another to reply!). 😉

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended
That explains it
HP Recommended

This info is obsolete for Android ver.7.1.1. It is likely obsolete for other versions of Android, as well. My tablet is a few years old, and there are newer versions of Android than mine.

It it not possible to get to "more" or to even add a new WiFi printer. It is added automatically by Android.

I don't have any neighbors with printers and my old printers have been showing up ever since I initially started using them. I just got a new HP printer and it shows up, along with my last 2 HP printers. 

This is an Android problem, not an HP one. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.