Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Probook 450 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have Computer 2TA31UT and Dock X7W54UT.

My Reseller told me these were compatible. The HP rep said they were compatible and wants to ship me a new power cable.

I want to  know if anyone has had this issue with the new G5's since they are so new. The Laptop advertises it can charge over USB-C and the dock advertises it can too. They both use 65w chargers so I do not think wattage is the issue. 

Displayport/HDMI/Sound/Ethernet work fine on the dock, it just doesnt show that there is a charger connected. (Does NOT say connected and not charging).

I have made sure the dock has the latest firmware and I installed the latest drivers. 

UPDATE: The laptops charge when they are powered off but dont even recognize that a charger is connected when turned on. Could this be a wattage issue afterall?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

maybe the dock does not provide the right Voltage. As I know, the Probook is using 15V over the USB-C Port, these are the values, I measured with my Probook 450 G5.  And if it's powered off, maybe there is some special mode for emergency charge, where the Laptop allows charging with lower voltages. So it could be, that the Dock only provides the old Power Delivery Profiles (5V ,12V and 20V) instead of USB Power Delivery V2 (5V, 9V, 15V and 20V) 

I have a Pro Book 450 G5 too, but with a different configuration. Instead of HP Elite USB-C Dockingstation, im using HP Elite USB-C Dock G3. It is a native usb c docking station, which supports Usb-c Alternate Mode. So, you don't need any drivers for output to external displays. Charging is working as expected, too. But the only issue i have is a low microphone volume. 

I would advise you, to return the dock an buy another one, Because the Probook 450 G5 supports DisplayPort over USB-C. So you don't need this DisplayLink, which is in this dock.

You don't have to buy te g3 version. You can also buy another version, which supports USB-C Alternate Mode and Power Delivery  Passthrough. I don't know wether the second one is called this way. But it will garanty, that the computer is charged over the dock, without any second cable.

Sorry, that I don't have any better advice. 

HP Recommended

Hello

I charged Probook 450 G5 using the USB-C Dock Gen 3 , the part number is 2DW60AA which has a 90W Power supply.

X7W54AA/AT/UT is USB-C Docking Gen 1.

it could be that 65W are not enought to pwer both docking and notebook.

2DW60AA /AT/UT provides also the capability , with Probook 4xx G5 , to drive up 3 Full HD displays connected to the docking station using the 2 DisplayPort and the 1 HDMI available.

As Intel Graphics card can drive only 3 monitors , you have to close the lid .

With lid open, you can have only 2 Full HD display connected to the dock.

X7W54AA is not the best solution for Probook 450 G5.

bye

HP Recommended

Thank you both for the information.  I will order a gen 3 dock and hope for the best.

Why HP can’t or won’t give out the information on what docks properly work with what laptops is beyond me! I even had two HP support reps tell me my dock should be working and they sent me a call tag for my laptop saying it was broken, but I am not sending my laptop back.

HP,  this is an issue with your docks and compatibility not being clear!

HP Recommended

Good afternoon and hello,

I have a question to the combination of HP ProBook 450 G5 (2UB54EA#ABD) and élite HP USB C-dock station G3 (2DW60AA).

I could bring the general compatibility, inklusiv loading function about USB C, already in experience.

I must know a thing before the purchase, however, absolutely...

Can the closed notebook which is connected about USB-C with the Dockingstation, switched on with the circuit closer of the Dockingstation?

I do not want to open forever the notebook to the turning on...

Many greetings from Germany

HP Recommended

Hello

I have a question to the combination of HP ProBook 450 G5 (2UB54EA#ABD) and élite HP USB C-dock station G3 (2DW60AA).

I could bring the general compatibility, inklusiv loading function about USB C, already in experience.

I must know a thing before the purchase, however, absolutely...

Can the closed notebook which is connected about USB-C with the Dockingstation, switched on with the circuit closer of the Dockingstation?

I do not want to open forever the notebook to the turning on...

bye

HP Recommended

Hello

I have to try. I have a Probook 440 G5 , I should check if there is a BIOS parameter that , if set , computer automatically power on as soon as it get power from USB-C.

I already found it in another HP model used with a Thunderbolt Dock, as the BIOS of Commercial notebook is almost the same, it could exist for Probook 4xx G5 too.

I'll let you know.

Bye

HP Recommended

HEllo

I tried, if you start the PC , then press F10 to enter in BIOS setting , then menu Advanced , Boot Options , you see : "Power on When AC Detected", put the flag in the box to enable.

Save and exit.

Now when you connect a power source, either via barrel connector or USB-C , the computer power on.

bye

HP Recommended

Hello Teacher,

I am very happy to hear which passes this possibility.
It is adjustable in the Bios.

Now I can buy the parts.

Many many thanks for trying out and the quick news.

Bye

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.