Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP USB-C Dock G5

I had an upgrade of the latest firmware for HP USB-C Dock G5 1.0.16.0 Rev.A.

Now I have an issue that sometimes Dock stops charging the battery.  Ironically, the version 1.0.16.0 claims to solve some problems with the power supply which I did not have before.

This makes my battery drain to 0 and turns off the laptop. Dock is connected to 2 24" monitors, a mouse, and a keyboard, and they are working without a problem during this time. 

I am using the dock with my HP 840 G8 laptop with installed Linux Ubuntu (22.04 latest stable LTS).

And as a side note, the battery lasts and always did, 3 hours (Intel i7, 32GB ram, 1,000 nits). So now I have to struggle and stop my work from time to time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found a problem if anyone else has the same. 

After 3 days of trial and error, I found out that the new BIOS upgrade of HP 840 G8 to 01.11.00 Rev.A is the one creating the problem. 

The upgrade of firmware for Dock G5 and and 840 G8 is done at the same time, and I wrongly assumed Dock G5 was problematic, instead it was the BIOS version 01.11.00 Rev A. 

After downgrading BIOS version to 01.10.00 Rev.A the problem is resolved, and HP DOck G5 is charging laptop without a problems. 

Thank you HP, you owe me couple of hours lost and nerves.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I found a problem if anyone else has the same. 

After 3 days of trial and error, I found out that the new BIOS upgrade of HP 840 G8 to 01.11.00 Rev.A is the one creating the problem. 

The upgrade of firmware for Dock G5 and and 840 G8 is done at the same time, and I wrongly assumed Dock G5 was problematic, instead it was the BIOS version 01.11.00 Rev A. 

After downgrading BIOS version to 01.10.00 Rev.A the problem is resolved, and HP DOck G5 is charging laptop without a problems. 

Thank you HP, you owe me couple of hours lost and nerves.

HP Recommended

Same computer, same dock, same fw updates and same problem. And your solution to downgrade BIOS also works for me, thank you for reporting.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.