Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 13-ah0024nn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I purchased this laptop a few days ago and I have been dissapointed with it's battery life.

It is advertised as "up to 14hours", I didn't expect that, but I expected at least 6 hours of light use.

Looking at reviews, people are getting at least 6 hours of light-medum use.

I've been getting 4 hours of light use on BATTERY SAVER and brightness at 25%...

I've run all the necessary tests, HP tests say that the battery has 100% of the original capacity, after all I bought it a few days ago. All of the HP tests passed. Not sure what is happening here..

Specs:

i7-8550U , 8GB DDR3, 512 SSD, 1080p display, apparently 120hz(this is not advertised).

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@lakimens,

It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

Please go through the below article to change the settings for the Bang & Olufsen audio.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05299856

For the battery issue, I am sending you a private message suggesting the next course of action.

Please check your private message icon in the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40
HP Recommended

@lakimens,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

This is a wonderful place to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips.

I'll be glad to help you 🙂

There are many factors why the battery drains fast, like the wireless adapter uses battery power to scan for networks and devices and keep you connected. Also, peripherals connected to the computer uses the battery power. It completely depends on the usage.

Having said that, I recommend you update the BIOS and the chipset driver from the below link and check whether the issue is resolved.

BIOS: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp92501-93000/sp92868.exe

Chipset: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp90001-90500/sp90274.exe

If you continue facing the issue, I recommend you follow the steps in the below article to calibrate the battery and test.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04700771

Let me know how it goes. Awaiting your reply!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

I've done the Chipset and BIOS updates and that didn't change anything.

What I did to improve battery life is set my CPU's TDP to 10W when it's on battery and that seems to have improved my battery by a lot.

While I am here, can I ask how can I permanently disable Bang & Olufsen audio tuning?

On some songs like heavy metal, when the bass drum kicks all the other sounds get dimmed for that split second and I absolutely hate it by now, as hard-rock and heavy metal is my main choice of music.

I've tried uninstalling the realtek audio driver and using the intel driver, but windows just reinstalls it on the next restart.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@lakimens,

It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

Please go through the below article to change the settings for the Bang & Olufsen audio.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c05299856

For the battery issue, I am sending you a private message suggesting the next course of action.

Please check your private message icon in the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have got the HP Envy 13-ah0043tu and it's battery life seems to last only for 4 hours maximum even with very light use and battery saver mode. I have updated my BIOS and do not play videos and just browse the internet and edit documents so far.

Also, I have tried with different browsers and the results are the same. 4 hours of battery life only. Could you please private message me the solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Goku_9613

HP Recommended

Windows is just not that efficient it seems.

What I did to improve it:

-Turn on battery saver(didn't really make a performance difference)

-Set CPU TDP to 10W while on battery

-Brightness under 50% always while on battery

-Use a music player instead of YouTube

These were pretty limiting. I have now installed Linux (manjaro) and last I was on battery, after about 4 hours, I was at 51% wth medium usage.

Install TLP if you go to Linux, it's for battery management.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. However, this seems to be prevailing for many users with the exact affected hours of battery life which is 4 hours while many tend to say that it lasts at least for 6-8 hours. HP will have to do something for fix this from their end rather than beating around the bush.

Regards,

Goku_9613

HP Recommended

I agree, it's not really a solution, it's more of a workaround.

HP Recommended

You know, it's weird to me when people say they get 6-8 hours with medium usage and HP are advertising a maximum of 14 hours, I don't believe even on idle, without even logging in to Windows, that this would last 14 hours.. There's just no way.

Why is it a specific case to me(and you) that  I have to try really hard to get 6 hours?

HP Recommended

Yes, indeed. But I don't think we are alone. Though we can't see our problem listed by any other users here in this HP community, I read few blogs and forums in which users mentioned exactly the same number 'Only 4-5 hours of battery life'.

And also, it is obvious that we wouldn't get the advertised battery life as it never happens for any product out there. But our problem seems to have a huge gap between the actual and the expected rate. I'll check with any HP technician for a hands-on test soon and share the update with you.

Meanwhile, let's see if any of the HP technicians online would reply for my query.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.