Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi community!

As the subject says, I read on the 650 g8 manual that you can use "Primary storagePCIe, NVMe, M.2 2280 or 2242 solid-state drives".

I don't understand where the 2242 drive is supposed to be installed, and there is no further mention of this option in the manual (but for this one line on page 13).

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06953138.pdf

Anyone have any ideas?

internals-1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @TzortzisG 

Since this is a peer-to-peer forum and we don't work for or represent HP, and you have already determined that my theory was there would be an additional hole to move the screw to for a 2242 M.2 SSD is incorrect, you would have to address your question to HP, because we have no control over what information, good or bad, HP puts in the manuals.

Επικοινωνία με την HP | HP® Ελλάδα

I can tell you from experience that not all of the information in many of HP's service manuals is 100% accurate.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

The most compatible SSD that are available for your system are available here:

https://www.mrmemory.co.uk/ssd-upgrades/hp/probook/650-g8

Look through the list and see if it fits the current task you are working on.

A look at the SSDs will give you an idea on how to install on your laptop.

HP Recommended

Hi, @TzortzisG 

I'm looking at the screenshot of your PC, and there is a M.2 2280 drive already installed.

That long, blue narrow rectangular device just above the right side of the battery.

If you were to remove that, there is probably a hole under the drive where you would move the existing screw holding down the M.2 2280 SSD to secure a M.2 2242 SSD.

There aren't two separate M.2 slots for an additional SSD.

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul!

I always read your posts carefully, you know what you're talking about.

Unfortunately, no screwhole in the 2242, 2230 or any other length except the standard 2280.

SSDless1.jpgSSDless2.jpg

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Then I would have to say that the service manual is incorrect regarding support for both 2280 and 2242 M.2 SSD's.

If you look at the list of supported drives in chapter 3, only M.2 2280 SSD's are offered as replacements.

However, only one M.2 slot is available for storage.

I do have a question though...what is that slot-looking thing on the left side of your first screenshot that almost looks like it would support a M.2 2242 SSD? If you were to install a SSD vertically from the slot and toward the RTC (CMOS) battery?

HP Recommended

partlocator.jpg

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info.

So, it is a M.2 slot, but it would only support a WWAN card, and cannot be used for anything else.

HP Recommended

Yes, I totally agree....

As far as my experience with HP goes they never wire their other pcie slots for storage.

Had the same issue with a Probook 650 G3, and ended up putting 1 m.2 in the 2280 slot, another right above it with an ultraslim 2.5SATA to m.2SATA delock converter card, and have been running dual samsung 860 m.2 ever since.

However, I do own a Probook 650 G1 also, which totally supports 2242 SATA card in the wwan slot.

You have to activate it with a BIOS option though, and the Probook G8 has nothing like that in the BIOS.

So the question still remains why HP included such a strange decription of the storage upgrade options (2280 or 2242).....

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen,

[EDIT: I started working on a reply, got delayed and completed it, not realizing the issue was already addressed -my bad.]

The M.2 slot to the left is for M.2 WWAN (Wireless Wide Area Network card that connects to the Internet using cellular technology) only. The screw holes in the lower left & right corners are for screws to secure the cover mount.

NonSequitur777_0-1651072241149.png

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Hi, @TzortzisG 

Since this is a peer-to-peer forum and we don't work for or represent HP, and you have already determined that my theory was there would be an additional hole to move the screw to for a 2242 M.2 SSD is incorrect, you would have to address your question to HP, because we have no control over what information, good or bad, HP puts in the manuals.

Επικοινωνία με την HP | HP® Ελλάδα

I can tell you from experience that not all of the information in many of HP's service manuals is 100% accurate.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.