Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We have several HP Elitebook 830/840 G8 each of them connected to an HP USB-C Dock Station G5. In a good amount of them, the usb mouse and keyboard connected to the dock station randomly stops responding. 

- The dock stations have the latest firmware installed

- Laptops have the latest drivers installed (including the dock station ones)

- Laptops have all the windows updates installed

- If We unplug the dock station from the laptop and plug it again the problem remains

- if We unplug the power cord of the dock station and plug in again the problem remains

- The only way to have it working again is by rebooting the laptop.

Any idea why is this happening in at least four laptops?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks Pbugaho,

Sounds like your issue is app specific. If you find  MS Teams playing up heaps with HP notebooks you can also try and disable GPU Hardware acceleration in MS Teams.

1. Open Microsoft Teams.

2. Click on your Profile Picture at the top right of your window.

3. Click Settings on the drop down menu.
4. In the General section check "Disable GPU hardware acceleration" and restart Teams

Very easy setting to reverse if you find it doesn’t help.

My fix regarding the repeating characters and stuck mouse is a system wide issue we where finding and not just specific to one app.

if you find when your typing in any app and start to see repeating keys like: thissssssssssssss

than make sure you do the HP Power Management changes I have recommended in my other post. No more issues with any of our notebooks repeating keys and freezing mice after implementing the power management changes in the BIOS.

Hope you find the core issue with your Teams problem.

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37
HP Recommended

Having a very similar issue, as well as some other oddities. EliteBook 830 G8 with G5 Dock.

Same issue as OP is experiencing with the mouse, it will randomly stop responding for a few seconds at a time. In addition to this, it goes through phases where a left-click will bring up a right-click context menu (I have checked the relevant settings in Windows).

Any keyboard attached to the dock will occasionally stop responding but worst of all, keys will become 'stuck', so if I type f for example I'll end up with fffffffffff (sticky keys are not enabled). This is the most concerning issue as the nature of my job means that rogue keystrokes at the wrong moment could lead to a very costly mistake.

Neither of these issues are present when the peripherals are directly connected to the machine. I have tried all the same troubleshooting steps as OP as well as updating the system BIOS and checking the event logs for driver crashes. I have 2 of these docking stations, both with a completely different keyboard and mouse attached, and this happens with both of them.

Edit: I should have tried the obvious first, as the issues with inverted mouse buttons and stuck keys seem to have been resolved by using the other USB-C port. Am I correct in saying there should be no functional difference between both ports? The mouse and keyboard still cut out for a few seconds here and there, so not completely fixed and would still like a resolution for this. 

Edit 2: Just as I finished the first edit, I went to type should and got shhhhhhhhhhh. Anyway, I should have mentioned I have high resolution mode turned on in the BIOS, could these issues be down to bandwidth limitations? 

HP Recommended

We are experiencing the same issue on our new devices/docks.

Also EliteBooks 8XX G8 with USB Type-C G5 Dock

Occasionally keys will get stuck as you type on different devices.

This happens on wired keyboards as well as wireless ones (Logitech M710 Bundle).

Apparently (as far as I've seen it) this only happeny when the keyboard is plugged into the dock; if it's plugged directly into the laptop it didn't occur so far.

We are also using the "High Resolution Mode" in BIOS Crackersbat mentioned; I was also wondering already if this could cause this behavior.

I'm hoping we can get some attention to this thread 🙂

HP Recommended

I contacted HP support in the end, their diagnosis was a motherboard fault and UPS have just been to collect the unit. I will report back whether this resolves things - if it does, I guess it could point to a faulty batch of motherboards.

Currently using my old ProBook 650 G4 with no issues. The inverted button issue did remain until I swapped to a different mouse (could have sworn it happened with 2 different mice on the EliteBook but I may be imagining things).

HP Recommended

I now have the laptop back, have been using it for a couple of hours and it seems to be fixed.

According to the repair note, HP replaced the pointing device.

It seems strange that this would cause issues with external peripherals connected via a docking station, but if it continues to behave then I won't question it.

HP Recommended

Just an update to say still no sign of any issues on day two of using the laptop.

HP Recommended

in the company we have 3 HP 470 G8 with usb-c g5 docking station.
They all have the same defect many times the keyboard crashes, others come up with a long succession of letters, hence the same problem as you.
It seems unlikely to me that everyone has a trackpad defect and should be returned under warranty ... is it possible that there isn't an alternative solution? Any suggestions are welcome.

HP Recommended

I have the same issue! Let me know how it works out for you...I know it sometimes takes a couple days before it starts acting up again.

HP Recommended

Thx for reporting back, Crackersbat! 🙂

I'm still trying out some software updates from the HP Image Assistant, no luck so far.

It's really strange, sometimes you don't have any problem for days. Today it had its 10 minutes and went crazy when typing, but since then NOTHING, everything normal...

Would be really interesting to hear how your repair works out over the course of 1-2 weeks.

HP Recommended

It is unbelievable that a cheap € 15 usb + nic hub works perfectly, while with this expensive docking station it is impossible to use a mouse and keyboard.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.