Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 845 G7 Notebook PC (8VZ07AV)
Ubuntu LTS

Hello,

after updating the UEFI BIOS of my HP EliteBook 845 G7 with Linux Mint 21 (checked with different kernels) to Version Ver. 01.10.00 I got a problem:

The external Display (attached via USB-C Alt mode) won't get awake after starting the Notebook. In dmesg I get:

[  134.736643] [drm] DP Alt mode state on HPD: 0
[  134.938085] [drm] Alt mode has timed out after 201 ms

Sometimes when I unplug and replug the USB Cable it works normally! Even in the LUKS decryption menu at startup.

I saw a similar problem in the following thread:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/After-BIOS-update-can-t-display-through-usb-c-docki...

Can you help me to solve the problem?

Kind regards

Michael

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

We are experiencing the same on Windows with different models, not only G7. Power cycle seems to fix it until they plug out and in again.  Keep me updated if you ever find a solution for this. 

HP Recommended

Aa a temporarily workaround I sometimes reset the USB embedded controller to make it work again:

1. Power the computer off.
  2. Press and hold the power button down for 30 seconds

I also noticed that it worked most times, if I plug the USB cable in when the system is already started.

Nevertheless hoping for a bugfix of the USB controller.

HP Recommended

Also same problem - G9 445 Probook.

Top tip from a poster about only plugging back in once the unit has started backup.  If not the problem continues.

HP Recommended

This is now fixed in the latest bios (01.09.01 Rev A - release 21/12) for my machine (manual check via the support pages), so would suggest checking if yours also has an update.

HP Recommended

Still issues with the 855 G7 series laptops. Latest bios is still 01.11.00 Rev.A from November. Issue appears in bios version 01.10.00 Rev.A where it updates the USB-C Controller from 1.05 to 1.06 which cant be rolled back 😞

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.