Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ZBook 15 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My workstation ZBook 15 G6 is by default not delivered with an build-in webcam. 

Above the screen there seems to exist a space reserved for a webcam. My question is whether it is possible to add a webcam to my system? If so, which hardware should I request?

20201020_112142.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have no more information than the Manual but I have certainly read a few of them in my day and it looks as if the microphone/HD camera module and the microphone only module connect to the same cable and are alternate parts. So it appears you can have a webcam by replacing the bezel and the mic module only. I guess I had assumed someone would want the FHD/IR camera which does require a second cable and a lot more work. 

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Theoretically possible but a bigger project than you might think. You would need the camera, the microphone, the cable and a new screen bezel. That blank area you see is a sliding door on the models with webcam. Pages 22-23 list all the parts you would need. Installing the camera/cable would take some fairly extensive disassembly. You could just buy the whole screen assembly with camera but that is going to be exceedingly expensive with the DreamColor screen, likely well over $1000 US. 

Service Manual 

Page 69 and forward would give you some idea what is involved with installing the camera. Using a simple usb webcam is likely looking like a good alternative. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Dear Huffer, 

Thanks for your reply and the reference to the manual. My model is equiped with a microphone module without camera. As I understand it correctly from page 74 the HD camera module (L68853-001) can be installed using the same cable. (Indeed the bezel needs to replaced as well)

For the FHD / IR camera module another cable is required as well and for it be be properly installed the screen itself needs to be removed which is too much risk for me. 

Could you confirm whether or not the L68853-001 can indeed be connected using the existing cable for the mic module?

HP Recommended

I have no more information than the Manual but I have certainly read a few of them in my day and it looks as if the microphone/HD camera module and the microphone only module connect to the same cable and are alternate parts. So it appears you can have a webcam by replacing the bezel and the mic module only. I guess I had assumed someone would want the FHD/IR camera which does require a second cable and a lot more work. 

HP Recommended

Sure I would like to have the FHD/IR camera, although that's a no-brainer for me since it's to much of a hazzle. At least the HD camera module will allow me to participate in a meeting while not at home or in the office, since I do not carry a webcam with me all the time. 

HP Recommended

We had a bit of a glitch in the website as I was posting the last so I will just tell you the bezel at least was available at the HP Parts Store Netherlands site for 24 Euros. I was not able to check for the webcam module but I will and drop a link if you wish. 

HP Recommended

Hi, I'm contemplating on same issue with my zbook. Thank you both for opening this thread.

Huffer, I would  much appreciate those links on parts that would be needed to do the modifications discussed here.

Interestingly, from the part catalogs, I cant see but a single type of cable for the display/camera, be the camera just hd  L68853-001 or fhd/ir  L68852-001? Wouldn't this suggest that the suitable cable for both type of cameras is already there?

HP Recommended

Hi Bilman

I've succesfully applied the change. I've bought the following parts:

L68872-001   SPS-LCD BEZEL RGB+BLK         

L68853-001   SPS-WEBCAM HD 720P         

This camera type is suitable to replace the installed mic-unit and use the existing cable. The FHD module however does have another connector (actually 2 connectors) and you won't be able to install it without the right cable replacement as well I suspect.     

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I take it from you since you have obviously seen what is inside the bezel!

Did you buy parts from Eu? If so, may I ask from where, in case you had a good deal!

HP Recommended

I just cracked the top of the bezel open and yes, there is just one cable head -the one connected to mic.

But after removing the blind cover from the camera opening it does look like you don't need to replace the bezel at all? I mean if you go for 720p camera...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.