Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I have preinstalled Win 10. Few days ago I got BIOS Q85 Ver. 01.02.04 but that didn't solve the problem.

Funny, it seems to me that when the CPU circus starts after coming back from sleep, I have to do the scan for hardware one times more than last time. Maybe the restart cuts this serie but then it is once at the first time, twice after second time, 3, 4... Does that tell anything to anybody.

Is it possible that Intel Rapid application has something to do with the problem? Does it have any active processes before its control window is opened? One could try to unistall it since it is otherwise useless with 1 SSD only. But I'm afraid I can't get it back.

HP Recommended

@jhlso wrote:

Is it possible that Intel Rapid application has something to do with the problem? Does it have any active processes before its control window is opened? One could try to unistall it since it is otherwise useless with 1 SSD only. But I'm afraid I can't get it back.

I did this but with no effect, still getting high cpu usage by 'system' process.

HP Recommended

The notebook came back with a newly installed OS (Before it was English/German, now it is German/Italian) and didn't seem to have the problem any longer. However, also a lot of things didn't work, e.g. no login, no second harddisk, I couldn't activate the finger print sensor. I have installed HP Support Assistant (was not on the system any longer) and asked it to check for updates. It has downloaded and installed loads of updates. After that the problem was back again ....

I didn't have a chance to get back to HP yet, but obviously they have some work to do. At least I have now a written acknowledgement that the problem exists. It would be great if we could hear anything from HP in this forum as well.

Walter

HP Recommended

@Walter2000

So after you reinstalled all necessary drivers, the problem was back? …maybe after you installed the audio device driver 😉

We also use the HP preinstalled version of Windows 10, but I guess it would be the same, after installing all drivers.

Or does anybody experienced something different?

HP Recommended

After almost 6 weeks of the beginning of this thread it would be nice when any HP Support guy could write a statement about the actual status of this issue.

• Is any of the involved player working on this bug?
  • When will there be an update for the Probook G5 series??
  • Does HP realy care about customer satisfaction???

Thanks a lot!

HP Recommended

I guess I could narrow the problem a bit. I have the same issues with my Probook 450 G5.

It seems that the problem can be solved when I deactivate the Windows Fast Start feature. Then my computer always start with a cold boot. But since then, I dont have a high CPU usage from the "system" process anymore.

On the other hand this means that the bug is related to the power save function / hybernate funcion... I guess a driver problem...

Would be nice when HP or Microsoft could fix that problem asap...

Regards

andreas

HP Recommended

Thank for sharing this information Andreas. I have wondered why after a restart the problem never occurs but after a cold boot very often. Here you find the details about the differences:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

I really cant understand why Microsoft  activates such a useless feature per default in the era of ssd, where the time difference between fast start and cold boot is marginal. Now I can live much better with this bug because I´m not a big fan of sleep mode or hibernation anyhow.

What I found out is that the energypower report, which can be done  via powershell "powercfg.exe -energy" throws up the following error:

"PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer. Platform Power Management Capabilities: PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled."

Perhaps this could have to do with this bug. Does anyone else get the same report? Any idea what could cause this?

HP Recommended

@MattPro: With "Fast Start" enabled, Windows is saving the state of the Windows Kernel to harddisk. When you to a reboot, it initializes the kernel without using any saved information. With "Fast Start" disabled, the kernel is initialized on every boot. This is why, a reboot and a boot with "Fast Start" disabled, behaves the same way.

But by the way. Does anybody has the latest Windows 10 Insider Build installed? Maybe you can check if the bug still appears. Or if it's really related to some specific driver.

HP Recommended

Hello Andreas,

I can say the same.

I disabled it on friday and since than - no problems with the SYSTEM process.

Thanks

Christian

HP Recommended

Confirm. I have the same warning (Platform Power Management Capabilities:PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled) in my powercfg report.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.