Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Probook 440 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Do NOT purchase a Probook 440 G5 with 8th Gen i7 intel CPU

I am on my 3rd one, starting back in Jan - 5 support cases - 5+ hours spent online with tech support in India and it bluescreens many times - this 3rd one even corrupts windows 10 when it crashes, of course.

I can't believe HP would sell such a piece of crap & wasting my time.

HP - Wake Up - You wasted enough of my time

I barely started using & putting it to use, other than a paperweight on my desk.

Do NOT even touch the Probook 440 G5, Win10 Pro, 8th Gen i7 CPU

HP's customer service doesn't work either - just nice webpages, chat lines, good order desk in Phillipines, 3rd party support in India ( got to know the fellows there quite well - they were VERY good)

But HP ????? Certainly not going to debug this product for HP

So HP - What are you going to do to help me out? I want another model of better quality ! My business is being tied up with this - I will be happy to advertise for another vendor Smiley Wink

Case # [edited] - Read all about it - and the 4 prior to it - they are linked  ! ! !

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@TDkozlyk

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

So . . . What is HP going to do to address my Probook 440 G5 issue ?

I want a better quality laptop in exchang for the 3 months, 3 x 440 G5's I have been testing for HP & 5+ hours I have NOW spent

And do NOT send me to your support - this is a brand new product & "out of the box" does NOT work & is NOT reliable to be taken out of hte house, never mind into a business environment

HP ??? - I can continue this dicussion on social media at how good the real HP support is, behind all the nice webpage & narrative facade.

Terry

HP Recommended

I own Probook 440 G5 with the latest Intel CPU. I do not have issues with BSOD but: I agree with the OP, do NOT buy latest Probook laptops (440 G5, 450 G5)!

Hardware is more or less good but drivers are a totally unstable waste. Check out this thread https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/ProBook-450-with-high-CPU-usage/td-p/6520063/page/1... where many people complain about crappy drivers (high CPU usage, noisy fan, low battery life). And HP? After three months no response or update.

HP Recommended

To follow up  with what I did - I returned my 3rd Probook 440 G5 & took out a Pavilion from Costco - I have 90 days to test drive. After 2 weeks of installing, testing, all my apps etc, it went well. I was pleased. I was moving forward !

Then, just yesterday, Microsoft in its update wisdom ( beginning to despise these updates) had a major update, that warned me would take longer than normal as new features would be installed. Well, it was longer & different. It changed the bluescreen to BLACKSCREEN ;(

After rebooting, my Pavilion BlueScreened - for the first time. Then as an encore, Windows 10 Home crapped itself, didn't close properly and I CANNOT BOOT AT ALL now - screen is totally black. It is now packaged up & going back to Costco.

So my lesson learned ? Do NOT install any windows updates, if your laptop is working well with your specific programs installed. Perhaps let the world debug the updates for several months, THEN install.

Even these forums are a way for vendors to dodge their responsibilities of product support and have each of us consoling each other with tips. Really !

HP Recommended

I had similar problems with my new probook, out of the box, windows 10, lots of blue screen crashes, a lot of the fan running a hot CPU.  Was getting close to handing it back.   However a colleague had the patience to contact HP support, who diagnosed the mini-dump as being a network driver problem.  They gave us a total of 5 updated drivers to load, including the network driver, and I have not had a problem since and am now very happy with the laptop.  Let me know if you would like details of the driver updates (although you may have solved your problem by now).   Prior to getting this sorted by HP support, I did run a driver check utility (one of the free on-line ones), but it didn't pick up that I needed updated drivers, so I wasn't impressed with it (but then it was free).  

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have been experiencing similar problems for the last few months. (probook 440 G5 i7 8th gen)

BSODs were occuring, seemed to be related to Kaspersky Total Security, after long dialogue with them they suggested removing HP velocity and installing latest Intel wireless drivers.

After doing this I haven't experienced a BSOD but now the laptop crashes first time you boot from hibernate or from shutdown. Have to  press power button a second time to be able to boot into Windows but lose all open apps.

There are loads of critical kernel power events in Windows system logs.

Putting the laptop to sleep can only be used for short periods as it drains the battery very quickly.

I opened a case with HP and they offered an onsite visit (I have 3 year warranty) but they closed it before I could arrange date/time.

I'm not impressed with this laptop -  software is unstable, poor battery life, poor display quality, poor support.

I would also replace it if I could.

Kind Regards,

Mike

HP Recommended

I also bougth this laptop  and i faced this problem. Could you please help me which drivers must I update?

HP Recommended

OK well I can't read my friend's handwriting, and most of this is a mystery to me, but here goes as best I can (hopefully some of this makes sense)

Drivers to check:

HP Connection Optimiser 2.0.0.8 -> 2.0.9.0

NVIDIA 2017 HG Video Driver 64 bit V388.73

Conexant HD Audio driver 2017/18    12.71.2.45   SP84712

HP Universal Camera Driver, Keyboard, Mouse Input  2017/18   2018.0.162994   SP87023 and   SP85332

Also he has written down:

Intel chipset installation utility   10.1.1.45   SP84426

Intel Serial I/O Driver   30.100.1725.1   SP84424

Ethernet  Realtek Controller Driver   10.23.1003.2017   SP85592

Synaptics WBF Finerprint Driver   4.5.345.0   SP85489

Essential System Updates Windows   10 11.3.?    SP81174

Intel Video Driver and Control Panel   15.46.4799   SP82247

Good luck, if you do give these a go, please let me have some feedback as to how you get on, for my own future reference.

Kind regards

Peter Davies

Consulting Actuary

Auckland, New Zealand

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.