Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteBook 840 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just bought an EliteBook 840 G6 for a customer and i really disappointed about the narrow viewing angle of this display. The SureView Filter is turned off. This should not happen on a Notebook in this price range. I think there is a problem on the latest SureView Gen 2 Screen which needs to be solved!

Does anybody experience the same problem?

Thanks, Liceo

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

@Liceo wrote:

... This should not happen on a Notebook in this price range...

@Liceo 

It is for privacy, If you wish to buy normal, wider viewing angles, you should not buy machine with more concern about privacy. Please try the following guide to give it wider angles.

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c05244554

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Yes, thanks, the feature is clear to me, but when privacy feature is turned off, the screen should behave as a normal panel. In my company we have similar HP Elite Books (also with this feature) which have a much wider viewing angle when filter is turned off.

I never saw the statement from hp which indicates, that the privacy feature also affects the viewing angle when privacy is turned off. If this is really the case, hp should explicitly mention it.  

HP Recommended

Hi. I have the same issue with my 840 G6. Very nice laptop apart from this annoying display problem. I read it is a common issue so I guess there is some factory glitch messing around. I hope It can be fixed in some way, maybe via driver or firmware updates.

Best

Claudio

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with the privacy screen on my Elitebook 745 G6.

Also, I have noticed that turning on the privacy mode has exactly the same effect as simply lowering the brightness in normal mode. The screen gets less bright when the feature is turned on, but the viewing angle remains the same (narrow). It is actually possible to rise the brightness in privacy mode up to the same level as in the non-privacy mode and then both modes will look exactly the same.

This is a really annoying problem. I personally don't care about the privacy feature and ordered it because of the high brightness for outdoor use (1000 nits), compared to the non-privacy screens. But the narrow viewing angle completely defeats the purpose. There is definitely a problem, either in hardware or in software, and an explanation from HP is welcome.

Looking forward to an official response from HP.

Siebe

HP Recommended

@siebed 

Please use the right keys  to adjust the HP Sure View privacy screen settings:

• fn+f2: Turns on the privacy screen.
  • fn+f5 or fn+f6: Adjusts the privacy screen for well-lit or darker environments.
  • fn+f2: Turns off the privacy screen.
  • fn+p: Turns on HP Sure View with the highest privacy setting.

More info

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c05244554

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Dear Banhien. Unfortunately it is not a matter of keys, but something related with the 3M light control film responsible for the Sure View Privacy feature. I contacted HP support and sent a video showing how my 840 G6 display behaves, changing view angle. HP is organizing pick up and repair of the laptop. Hope this problem will be solved.

Claudio

HP Recommended

@Banhien

There is indeed a real problem with the viewing angle. It is not becoming wider when the privacy mode is turned off. So it's not just a matter of using the fn keys..

@Makkillottu

Will they replace the whole laptop or can they just replace/fix the screen at your home? I'd like to get it fixed as well but I prefer not to have to install everything from scratch. If possible, let me know how they solved it 🙂 Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hello Siebed

As I understood, they will check for the problem and they will only replace the display.

As far as I will get my laptop back I will let you know.

Best regards

Claudio

HP Recommended

Okay, thank you very much.

Kind regards,

Siebed

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.