Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 820 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been enjoying my HP notebook for a while now with no issues.  However since a day ago my two USB's on the right side stopped working.  I've tried the following:

• Uninstall and reinstall drivers through device manager
  • Restarting
  • Making sure all updates are installed

Note that the USB port on the left side is working.

Any idea what else I can do?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello ceds,

In terms of the HP UEFI Diagnostics, try these updates and then check if there are other tests available (such as the system board test):

HP Notebook System BIOS Update

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp87001-87500/sp87488.exe

HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp74501-75000/sp74845.exe

Furthermore, what devices have you tried on the USB ports? 

Kind regards,

Eddy

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hello ceds,

So if you go to View > Show Hidden Devices and look in Device Manager, what do you see? Any weird devices with errors?

Try confirming if this is a hardware issue through HP's UEFI Diagnostics:

1. Repeatedly press Esc upon startup
  2. Select F2 (System Diagnostics)
  3. Select the desired language
  4. Navigate to component tests
  5. Select USB port test

Let me know how all this goes.

Regards,

Eddy

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.  

• No errors or unusual items in Device Manager
  • UEFI Diagnostics does not have an option for USB Port Test.  Only Harddrive and Memory

Anything else that i can try?

HP Recommended

NirSoft has a program called USBDeview which may tell you something about your usb ports. The only thing I used the 

program for ,is to remove whatever information it has about usb sticks or whatever has been plugged in. Clear the out.

Just search for Nirsoft, the programs are free and very good + plenty of utilities. 

KenW
HP Recommended

Hello ceds,

In terms of the HP UEFI Diagnostics, try these updates and then check if there are other tests available (such as the system board test):

HP Notebook System BIOS Update

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp87001-87500/sp87488.exe

HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp74501-75000/sp74845.exe

Furthermore, what devices have you tried on the USB ports? 

Kind regards,

Eddy

HP Recommended

Updating the bios fixed my USB ports as well.  Thanks for the help!

HP Recommended

i did this and got this error as Failure ID: 94Q542-8AM973-MFPX6K-8D7503,

any solution for this ?

HP Recommended

Your code is "USB failure (unspecified)". If you have not done so already and it does not conflict with the instructions in the diagnostics program, I would run the USB test again with no external devices connected. If you can't run the test without generating codes and one or more USB devices are not working, I would contact HP support as your notebook might have suffered hardware failure.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply, but bro its something tricky here , let me explain it to you

1. all the 3 usb port are not worling when i use normal cable, but it works when i use the cable which came with me external hard disk.

2. i'm able to charge my mobile through all 3 usb ports.

3. if i use normal cable which comes with mobile to connect my external hard disk then only external HD light start to blink but does'nt dow up the drive .

so i think its not about hardware failure, when i searching for solution i get to know 90% guys who got problem uses HP laptop.

Could you please assist me in this??

HP Recommended

I can't quite work through the permutations with your devices and cables, but it seems possible that the system is working with USB 3 SuperSpeed devices but not with legacy USB 2 devices. This might still be hardware failure of the notebook.

You need to set up some test cases to try to tie down what is happening. I would try an old USB 2 memory stick in all the ports to see if that works, then try a USB 3 memory stick. If you get any failures there, that probably implicates the notebook's USB hardware. If you don't get any failures then the notebook's USB hardware may well be OK and you will need to work through the remaining scenarios methodically to figure out what works and what doesn't.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.