Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I am replacing my titan X with a new RTX 2080ti. 

Titan X required 8 pin + 6 pin connection.

Rtx 2080ti requires 8 pin + 8 pin connection

From my 1125w power supply, I have 3 x( 6 pin) cables.

How do I go about connecting this to my psu correctly?

At the moment I have 2x(6pin) connected to a 8pin

and then a dual 6 to 8 pin adapter connected on the remaining 6 pin cable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M49SELW/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_Aj11CbSNHTBM1

Its not working, I get an error message saying 

PLEASE POWER DOWN AND CONNECT THE PCIe POWER CABLES FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD.

What am I doing wrong?

Would it make a diference if I used a single 6 to 8pin adapter instead of the dual 6 to 8 pin adapter im using?

thanks a lot

Fred

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

BlankVisual,

Yes, sorry; 2 X 6-pin to 1X 8-pin + 1X 6 pin to 1X 8-pin, which should result in 2X 75W + 1X 75W + PCIE slot @ 75W = 300W total,  and given also a few more W's from the typical HP over-specification of these power connections.

The only other ideas at the moment are to eliminate more possibilities:

1. Check the PCIe slot setting in BIOS

2. Do a clean install of the driver. If it is running VR support, consider laoding the driver without it.

3. Try it in another slot

4. That the card is defective. Is there another system where it could be tested?

That's an odd one. Of any system that would state it wasn't supplying enough power, an HP z840 with an 1125W power supply would be one of the last I'd imagine.  NVIDIA specs a minimum 650W PSU for the RTX 2080 Ti.

BambiBoomZ

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended
I've read online the rtx 2080ti will draw up to 260 watts

since my psu only gives me 3x6pin to work with, how am i supposed to get to 260watts?

each 6 pin is rated at 75 watts correct? 3*75​ leaves me at 225 watts...

or am i wrong? 

As you know this is a Zworkstation very custom case, I can't just plugin another psu that isnt made specifically for these workstations...
HP Recommended

Blankvisual,

In my view, the z840's RTX 2080 Ti connection: 2X 6-pin to 1X 8-pin + 1X 6 pin to  1X 6-pin should be sufficient.  I use a GTX 1070Ti in a z620 and use  2X 6-pin to 1X 8-pin.  The 1070 Ti under extreme conditions uses a maximum of about 220W. 2X 6-pin + the Slot's 75W = 225W

The z-series workstations PCIe power connections are known to supply higher power thought the PCIe power connections than the standard 75W rating; there is more than one user having satisfactory results  using 1x 6-pin to 1x 8- pin. Remember too that the GPU PCIE slot supplies 75W so the slot's 75W + the 3X 6-pins' 75W each= 300W.  It seems it would be enough as the RTX 2080 Ti under the most extreme conditions uses about 310W.

I'm curious about the $30 cable- that's expensive- and whether it is proprietary with a different pinout and triggering the error. All the PCIe power cables I've ever used are yellow and black wires so it's possible to verify the pinout.

Consider trying  a couple of standard, yellow /black cables only to eliminate those as a possibility.  This is the 2X 6-pin to 1X 8-pin I use:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/C2PCIE6T8-10-2-x-PCI-E-6-PIN-COMBINE-TO-1-x-PCIE-8-PIN-10-MADE-IN-USA/26322...

Let us know how you progress.

BambiBoomZ 

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

"In my view, the z840's RTX 2080 Ti connection: 2X 6-pin to 1X 8-pin + 1X 6 pin to  1X 6-pin should be sufficient."

Did you meant to say 2X 6-pin to 1X 8-pin + 1X 6 pin to 1X 8-pin?

RTX 2080ti requires 2x8 pin.

Thanks for the tip on the black and yellow cable. I am going out to buy 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/914159-REG/startech_pciex68adap_pci_express_pwr_adptr.html

But if this doesnt work I will be quite clueless as to what the solution could be. 

HP Recommended

-

HP Recommended

BlankVisual,

Yes, sorry; 2 X 6-pin to 1X 8-pin + 1X 6 pin to 1X 8-pin, which should result in 2X 75W + 1X 75W + PCIE slot @ 75W = 300W total,  and given also a few more W's from the typical HP over-specification of these power connections.

The only other ideas at the moment are to eliminate more possibilities:

1. Check the PCIe slot setting in BIOS

2. Do a clean install of the driver. If it is running VR support, consider laoding the driver without it.

3. Try it in another slot

4. That the card is defective. Is there another system where it could be tested?

That's an odd one. Of any system that would state it wasn't supplying enough power, an HP z840 with an 1125W power supply would be one of the last I'd imagine.  NVIDIA specs a minimum 650W PSU for the RTX 2080 Ti.

BambiBoomZ

HP Recommended

Thank you so much. My issue is now solved simply by changed the adapter I was using and just using a 6pin to 8pin. Worked like a charm! Much appreciated for your help kind sir.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.