Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z440
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Z440 workstation that is producing the 973 Global Reset: DRAM Corruption Error May Be Observed error message on a regular basis.

Per the HP KB upgrading the Intel ME to 9.1.37.1002 will resolve the error.   I'm on 9.1.43.3004 Rev.A from April 2018 and this error is still occurring.

I've run several memory tests and not a single one of them has detected any memory issues.

Suggestions?

Brett Gilbert
Broadcast Engineer
20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

have you installed BIOS version 1.65 or later as per the hp advisory?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04926792

HP Recommended

Yes, I am on BIOS 2.41 - 1/25/2018

I also tried re-flashing the Intel ME firmware thinking maybe it didn't 'take' like it should have but the update utility confirmed it was the same version as the update.

Thanks

Brett Gilbert
Broadcast Engineer
HP Recommended

Any additional suggestions?   This is still happening and is extremely frustrating.

Surely there is a fix for this?

I even tried reseating the RAM and it made no difference.  But again running a memory test produces no errors, I ran one for over 24 hours and it passed 18 times with zero errors.

Brett Gilbert
Broadcast Engineer
HP Recommended

I've not got one to check, but are there are any sections in the UEFI/BIOS where you can disable certain power states (I'd assume C3 and higher)? If so, at least as a stopgap measure, it might be worth seeing if you can prevent the corruption error from occurring at the cost of higher power consumption overall. Apologies in advance if this is a total red herring, but as you asked for extra suggestions, might be worth a shot.

All opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily represent those of my employer.
No responsibility accepted for any action you take or refrain from taking as a result of viewing them.
HP Recommended

I have not see any such options but I will check.

I did notice the memory is NOT loaded into the mobo in the correct order.

Per: http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04400038.pdf

You are supposed to load DIMM1 then DIMM8 however the memory in my machine is loaded DIMM1 & DIMM3

I'm going to swap the DIMM3 to DIMM8 tonight and see if that changes anything.

Brett Gilbert
Broadcast Engineer
HP Recommended

How did it go?

Whoever put them in those slots may have been used to conventional deskstop PCs and putting RAM in slots like that for dual channel. I'd probably have made the same mistake if I'd not read the manual.

All opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily represent those of my employer.
No responsibility accepted for any action you take or refrain from taking as a result of viewing them.
HP Recommended

Well it's been about a day and half and so far I have not had another ME fault.

I want to give it a few more days before saying it's good but first impressions are that it seems to have made a difference.

Brett Gilbert
Broadcast Engineer
HP Recommended

This did not fix the issue.

It is still occurring, not as frequently, it used to happen about every 48 hours but now it's about every 72 - 96 hours.

Brett Gilbert
Broadcast Engineer
HP Recommended

could be failing ram, or bad memory socket

try running with one stick ram, if error, try the other one

you can run memtest86+ to test the memory subsystem, it's a freeware program just make sure to get the latest release with the "+" in the name

the CPU could asso be at fault as it contains the memory controllers

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.