Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z400
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a Nvidia GTX 750 Ti and a Intel Xeon W3690 @ 3.47GHz CPU.

I would like to get a list of new GPU (2017-2018) that can work in my HP Z400 without replacing my PSU. 

Im doing heavy video editing and would like to play some new games. 

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended
Additional question and i hope someone can answer..
Can i put 2 video cards in my hpz400?
Currently i have gtx 750 ti 2gb. Planning to put gtx 1050 4gb.
HP Recommended

the HP z400 was released around 2009 and  active support discontinued around 2013

as such it will not support cpu's/chipsets released years later

please learn how to use a sites "SEARCH" function,  such as this sites  (SEARCH BOX)

and enter z400 video card, z400 fastest cpu, z400 motherboard revisions to locate previous posters who asked the same questions previously which have been answered.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Z400-X5690-W3690-F...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/graphics-card-and-...

HP Recommended

theOne77,

DGroves is incorrect in asserting that an HP z400 can not run modern GPU's, including the current Pascal Series.

In Passmark Performance Test results, there are 14 z400's running the GTX 1050 Ti.  The top Passmark 3D for that GPU in a z400 is 6506.  To put that into perspective, the average for that GPU is 5911. The z400 is running at PCIE 2.0, and one might expect that to be a serious performance penalty, but in that result it still above the average for all systems usning it, about 2,950 tested. In an HP E5-1650 v2 system for example, the higher clock speeds will produce a 3D of 7200+ , but 6500 is completely useful.

I'm not completely certain about the advisability of running two, check your software, as a lot of video and photo editing programs including Adobe Premiere and After Effects will not benefit.  There may well be more to gain combining that value into a single GTX 1060 6GB as video editing need a lot of memory and a 1060 (4GB) has 1280 CUDA cores to the 1050 Ti  count of 768 .  The best 3D for a z400 / GTX 1060 is 9807 against an average for the GTX 1060 of 9606 and that should wakw up some  pixels whatever you're doing. The Pascal cards are quite efficient for power. A GTX 1060 needs a minimum 400W PSU and the z400 is 475W. The GTX 1050 Ti needs a minimum of only 300W.

Load that system with the maximum RAM for video editing as well.  I keep seeing the spec max at 16GB,  but perhaps that was was an early spec as Precision T3500 with the same X58 chipset could use 24GB.

BambiBoomZ

HP Recommended

Thanks Bambi your correct, i found new GPU running in HPZ400 in you tube.

Thanks also Dgroves. I KNOW how to do research before posting and nobody post similar to this. 

HP Recommended

nowhere in my post did i say the z400 can not run current gpu's, (or dual gpu's)  please do not assign what other posters may or may not have said in their posts as someting i wrote

and to  theone77's comment  that nobody posted a question like your post: i gave you two posting out of many that reference your questions, it's up to you to spend some time researching as most of the people who reply here  see the same questions posted over and over

since you said you could not find any previous posts about dual video cards in a z400 here's a link

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Will-my-Z400-with-...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Z400-Aftermarket-U...

(read SDH's post on the above link on video cards)

if you had read some of these posts you would have read that a card(s) max power draw is the major factor in  determining if running one or two video cards can be safely done on a system

HP Recommended

DGroves , sorry for misunderstanding. I got ur point.  Thanks for your information. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.