Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
SmartStream Designer For InDesign 2019
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

After installing HP SmartStream Designer 14.0.6 for InDesign CC 2019 PC, InDesign will no longer run.

Immediately after launching InDesign, I recieve this message:

image.png

After clicking OK, InDesign continues to load then crashes when it gets to the Welcome screen.

image.png

If I un-install SmartStream Designer, InDesign will load normally.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After upgrading to Windows 10, this problem persisted.

The root cause was a permissions issue to the "My Documents" library. A registry key had been altered by our Group Policy which pointed the My Documents path to a network share that I did not have write permissions to. As a result, the SmartStream Designer installer (or runtime, or both) could not write to the path causing it to crash... and not very gracefully.

The fix was to uninstall Adobe InDesign, uninstall the SmartStream Designer plugin, correct the permissions on the My Documents library and then re-install Indesign and SmartStream.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@BrianDieckman

HP SmartStream Designer might not be compatible with Windows 7.

HP Indigo digital presses

HP SmartStream Designer

There is a Contact link - scroll down in the document and select "Contact an HP Indigo expert"

See

HP SmartStream Designer data sheet

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for that. Only one system (of 6) have had this problem, all running Windows 7.

I'm due for an upgrade in February, so I'll just have it moved up.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@BrianDieckman

You are welcome.

I did just find a recent mention of this missing file on the 'net in the Adobe forum - for the same Design software.  Could be something weird going on with the software.  Regardless, might be worth trying to get a hold of HP using the contact link.

Good Luck.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

After upgrading to Windows 10, this problem persisted.

The root cause was a permissions issue to the "My Documents" library. A registry key had been altered by our Group Policy which pointed the My Documents path to a network share that I did not have write permissions to. As a result, the SmartStream Designer installer (or runtime, or both) could not write to the path causing it to crash... and not very gracefully.

The fix was to uninstall Adobe InDesign, uninstall the SmartStream Designer plugin, correct the permissions on the My Documents library and then re-install Indesign and SmartStream.

HP Recommended

My folder had no such permission issue from what I could tell.  I just copied the DynamicApps.dll file in to the InDesign 2019 folder and it's now working for me

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.