Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP officejet 3831
Android 6.0 Marshmallow
Hi,first poster here.I've searched and some say its OK to switch power off the printer for overnight etc.and some say leave on all the time,so conflicting answers.
I usually (before instant ink) turned printer and internet off overnight then back on in the morning.(safety and economic reasons)is this not good on instant ink?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Zanchi50,

Welcome to the HP Support Forum, thanks for posting your question here. I will be more than happy to help you with this. 

Yes, you will have some say it is okay to turn the printer off overnight and others that say you should leave it on all the time. The printer does go into sleep mode after about 5 minutes of not being used. This sleep mode is an energy saver mode. 

We do suggest that you leave the printer on all the time if you are able to if it has to be turned off at night that is fine just be sure you turn it on and leave it on first thing the next day. The reason for this is so we can communicate with the printer and get your ink levels and accurate up to date page counts, we do not want to have a delayed ink replacement shipment for you.

You are also welcome to reach out to us anytime if you have any questions or concerns about your Instant Ink account or anything to do with Instant Ink. 

Does this answer your questions you had about your printer and your Instant Ink account? 

Thanks!

-HP Instant Ink Support

A-Roxy
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended
I'm lucky my first 3 months is free trial, so my factory ink is not charged for.Instant ink is also sending me new ink in the first 10 working days so I'm getting a good deal.
I can understand where you're coming from though if you've no free trial period.
Before using instant ink,my cartridges on my old printer would get a bit of use initially then would be left for months and would dry up by the next time I needed them ,I'm confident instant ink not only will save me money but will ensure I don't have a dried up set of hardly used ink cartridges just when I need them to work.
HP Recommended

Hi @Zanchi50,

Welcome to the HP Support Forum, thanks for posting your question here. I will be more than happy to help you with this. 

Yes, you will have some say it is okay to turn the printer off overnight and others that say you should leave it on all the time. The printer does go into sleep mode after about 5 minutes of not being used. This sleep mode is an energy saver mode. 

We do suggest that you leave the printer on all the time if you are able to if it has to be turned off at night that is fine just be sure you turn it on and leave it on first thing the next day. The reason for this is so we can communicate with the printer and get your ink levels and accurate up to date page counts, we do not want to have a delayed ink replacement shipment for you.

You are also welcome to reach out to us anytime if you have any questions or concerns about your Instant Ink account or anything to do with Instant Ink. 

Does this answer your questions you had about your printer and your Instant Ink account? 

Thanks!

-HP Instant Ink Support

A-Roxy
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended
I will probably be using a low to average amount on the £1.99/month plan,I priced up genuine HP cartridges before venturing on the instant ink plan and for 1 black and 1 colour cartridge it was around £25 .My experience before on my old printer was ,to keep it running correctly involved a new set of cartridges at least every year and I would just use it as needed which wasn't very often,reason I never printed a bit more often was to not have to replace too quickly. I reckon I'd be lucky to print 15 pages a month.lol.but if I know I'll not run out of ink on the plan I'll most likely use it a bit more,don't think I'll use the 50 each month,same as I don't use all my minutes on my phone,but its good for me .I guess its different for each person. Actually you're correct that it sucks for your experience, I think shutting down your cartridge
HP Recommended
Was a bit rubbish(message got sent so carried on )
I think its just a policy to keep customers.
Good luck with your printing .
HP Recommended
Thanks for the reply,just another quick question on the same subject. What if I go on holiday and switch everything off,what happens then?
Luckily I've just returned from holidays so it would be a while until next holidays. Would the printer stop working after say a couple of weeks switched off?
Perhaps a good way would be to notify instant ink say on the app if the printer needed to be switched off in such circumstances?
HP Recommended

@Zanchi50,

If you go on holidays you can switch off, just make sure to turn it back on once you get home and let it update with our server.

The printer will not turn itself off after a certain period of time. You will get email notifications asking you to please connect your printer to your Instant Ink account. 

You can notify us if you like, we cannot add anything to your account letting it know you are away and that we are aware the printer is turned off. The biggest reason we ask for the printer to remain on is so that we get the page counts and ink levels since we only talk to the printer once a day sometimes the printer gets turned on used and then turned off right away. You will be away and not able to use the printer anyways so the counts and levels would be the same while you are gone.

Like I said just turn it back on when you get home and the printer will talk to the server and everything will be good.

Has this answered your question?  

Thanks!

-HP Instant Ink Support

A-Roxy
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
Yes thanks,its good to know that if I'm away I can just switch off and not worry .I think this answer will help a lot of new users like myself. Then just switch back on upon return.A lot of people like to turn everything off if they go on holiday. Just for piece of mind.
I shall be leaving mine on all the time when not away just to keep everything up to date.Thanks again.
HP Recommended

@Zanchi50

Glad I was able to help you with this. Yes we like that new users can come here and find answers quickly and get help.

Thanks
-HP Instant Ink Support

A-Roxy
I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.