Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
CR768A
macOS 10.14 Mojave

HP OfficeJet 7110 wide-format printer; product no CR768A, alert light blinks. The ePrint light and the Wireless light remain on and not blinking. There is no obvious cause for the alert light to flash..

I normally have a double-sided attachment fitted but I have tried to resolve the issue with the original singled-sided attachment. The help web-site suggest that a door is not closed. I have checked all doors (the top lid that gives access to ink cartridges; the rear single/double sided attachment; the front paper tray; side panels) and all are, as far as I can tell, secure. When trying to remotely print a test page from the printer utility, the 'HP Utility - OfficeJet Series 7110 driver reports "

Printer is in an error state

Please resolve the error condition for the device and try again.

"

HELP (please)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Grytr1

I understand your concerns and would like to help

I suggest you perform a printer reset and update the printer firmware

- Turn on the printer.
- Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the rear of the printer. If your printer has a network or wireless connection, leave it connected.
- Remove the ink cartridges from the printer.
- With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and from the wall outlet or power strip.
- Wait at least 60 seconds.
- Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to a wall outlet.
- Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
- Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
- The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
- Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.
- Reinsert the ink cartridges, and then close the ink cartridge access door.

To update the printer firmware please refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

Keep me posted how it goes 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Grytr1

I understand your concerns and would like to help

I suggest you perform a printer reset and update the printer firmware

- Turn on the printer.
- Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the rear of the printer. If your printer has a network or wireless connection, leave it connected.
- Remove the ink cartridges from the printer.
- With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and from the wall outlet or power strip.
- Wait at least 60 seconds.
- Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to a wall outlet.
- Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
- Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
- The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
- Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.
- Reinsert the ink cartridges, and then close the ink cartridge access door.

To update the printer firmware please refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02919168

Keep me posted how it goes 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

TL;DR issue resolved

I followed  KrazyToad's instructions to the letter (to the A4 in my case, actually). When it came to the step "- Remove the ink cartridges from the printer", I had difficulty. I could not make the printer move the ink carriage to the middle to enable me to remove the cartridges. By pressing the alert button, the printer went through a (noisy) procedure which included moving the ink carriage. During the third such procedure, I grabbed the carriage and managed to remove the cartridges. It was then that I noticed a single scrunched up A4 sheet being pressed firmly to the right of the printer carriage by the ink holder. I hadn't seen it before, because it was, of course covered by the ink carriage. I removed said scrunched up paper.

After continuing with the instructions the printer took about five minutes to go through its warm-up procedure whilst making horrible grinding noises. At this stage, I thought it was not going to work. After finishing its warm-up the green night turned solid and the alert light turned off. I went to my MacBook Pro and printed a test page. Bingo. Everything is fine.

So. Thank you so much KrazyToad.  You have rescued what turns out to be a solid printer.

I should point out that I bought an HP A3 printer in the early 2000's (I think it might have been a DesignJet 70 or similar) and ran it until it packed up about 2014/15 or so. I was very very happy with that printer. I am also happy with its replacement, this OfficeJet 7110 wide-format printer; particularly as it turns out to be so robust and this forum so helpful. Thank you once again.

Grytr1

HP Recommended

@Grytr1

Thanks for keeping me posted

I'm glad you got this issue resolved

Do visit our HP Support Community and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.