Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet T120
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've just about had it with this printer. I've owned it for roughly 8 months and, without exaggerating, it won't print properly 75-80% of the time. There always seems to be a new issue - printer is "offline" even though Windows shows it's fine; HP's own programs can't find the device; drivers are "installed" but never found; the list goes on.

I end up having to spend hours diagnosing what phantom problem is occurring and it never seems to be the same solution twice.  I have had to uninstall and reinstall the programs and drivers from the HP site dozens of times. I've put the printer on a static IP: solved problem for a little while, then "couldn't find printer". I now have it hooked up via USB and just tonight have reinstalled what the HP site tells me to install, and HP DesignJet Utility still says it is offline or unavailable. The on-printer screen shows no errors and is incredibly unhelpful when troubleshooting.

The main problem happening before the inexplicable Offline status is that for everything I send to print is trying to use the roll, even though the paper size is either 8.5x11 or 11x17 and the Multi-Sheet Tray is selected on the printer. For example: if  I try to print an 11x17, the printer will say that it requires 17" paper, but currently has 11" loaded. It is trying to print landscape because it thinks it's using the roll and it won't give me the option to set the paper source because the "proper drivers" aren't installed.

I have followed every instruction and downloaded everything (ZIP files and programs) that I have been told to download and install. I am tired of having to waste hours of my day on a wild printergoose chase while I'm losing time and money by not having printouts ready when needed. At this point I'm ready to get another brand of printer because HP seems to be useless when it comes to the T120.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I just got a new Windows 10 computer and I have been trying to set it up with our T1120.

I am having a similar problem where everything I send to print is trying to use the roll, even though the paper size is either 8.5x11 or 11x17 and the Multi-Sheet Tray is selected on the printer. For example: if  I try to print an 11x17, the printer will say that it requires 17" paper, but currently has 11" loaded. It is trying to print landscape because it thinks it's using the roll.  I can force it to use the multisheet Tray by editing the printer properties but that is a pain.  The  driver is called HP Designjet T120 V4.  I have tried using the other drivers (Versions 61.183.21507.100[2018-08-31] & 61.192.11805.100[2019-05-30])  but I just get an error message that says "Word can't print due a problem with the printer setup".  Can anyone help?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.