Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
T1100 T1120

Changed the service station in a T1100 and a T1120 but never saw ink out of the prime pump.

I assumed the prime pump would pump out some ink from the printheads but never saw any ink coming out of the pump. Even worse, the printheads never ejected ink over the printheads seals.

I thought the printheads would position over the printheads seals during the printhead cleaning and the pump would vaccum to help cleaning the printhead but none of that.

Could anyone explain how it works?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

When changing there must be done some priming and calibrations. Take a look in Service manual for complete info.

HP Recommended

"When changing there must be done some priming.."  I thought the same but no. I have already seen the service manual and no help.

Even when selected printhead cleaning, there is no priming. Can´t say about priming the hoses because don´t want to try it.

Maybe some programmed obsolescence? or some mistake in the firmware?

Anybody knows how is it supposed to work the priming and when?

HP Recommended

Firmware can be reinstalled but with no effect on current problem (when error occurred printer will display error massage s). Check rewireing (all connections and cables), check tubes for leaking, and then go to priming  (no air in printing management from tubes to PH). Check primer motor for pumping, aerosol fans and go to page 27 on to finish service station replacement procedure. 

Problems with replacement of hardware is always connected with steps in tests and connections. If one step is missed, can't step further... Google for some tricks in replacement...

HP Recommended

I didn't have a problem except that some printheads didn´t unclog completely. I was assuming priming motor, since it is coupled with a pump, would be used for helping to unclog the printheads (vaccum) but in no part of the printhead cleaning process, the printheads ejected ink over the rubber cups so the pump could help with vaccum.

My problem is that I have to replace some printheads that maybe could be unclogged completely if the priming process were to work correctly, not just ejecting ink but using pump too.

That is why I suspect programmed obsolescence.  If I could change firmware to an earlier version and the printheads got unclogged completely I could confirm it (well you could always say it was a mistake with no bad intention). 

HP Recommended

I'm sorry, I was reading all wrong - Priming is vacuuming ink in tubes and printheads (no primer liquid as you observed) - to remain only ink and no air inside PH's (when there is a leaking or air in ink tubes and PH's must be doing priming after replacing faulty printhead for example..).

Printhead is clogging for some reasons and just cleaning with the printer's menu (and by itself) won't help. You have to clean PH's manually as written in the instructions, clean the golden connectors in the carriage with alcohol (ethyl, isopropyl). Also you have to check and clean PH drop detector - it's purpose is to substitute bad nozzles with good ones. 

About the old firmware - can't find any (only bad or useless links), just the last version in support.hp.com 

Sorry again for misleading and if not helping...

HP Recommended

Hi Skuks,

Still, something is wrong.

Priming motor rotates first in one direction -to set lever that allows ink to flow, the other levers press on hoses that are not going to be primed/cleaned-. After that, it rotates opposite direction to action the pump (vaccuming).

During cleaning, does vaccum several times but the printheads are not over the sealing rubbers and there is no ink ejected over the rubber sealing cups, so it is useless to do vaccum.

Regards

HP Recommended

Arrgh....driving belt isn't at the right position...

Scan axis encoder strip must be cleaned ... Check all this:

https://support.hp.com/ro-en/document/c04581797

PH's are not over the right position... Check wiring at first...

HP Recommended

No, plotter prints"correctly", except some clogged printheads.

The carriage is over the service station, just not over the rubber sealers.

HP Recommended

I must ask - have you did all callibrations from Chapter 4 Service Tests and Utilities (where The Front Panel asks if you want to cap the Service Station) and so on...

Check if PH's didn't cap (not over rubber seals) in normal position or just when cleaning and priming... When cleaning PH's are "spitting" aside, wiping an then moving over caps where it's ment to stay "wet"...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.