Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended

Hello 

I just recently replaced all the inks on this machine which had been used off and on for the last 4 years.  The inks had all expired and were out of warranty so they were replaced with new inks.  Still, I couldn't run GMG ColorProof calibration so I'm replacing all the printheads now.  Managed to get 5 of the 6 printheads, out of stock on the chromatic red until end of year, and still getting the "Printheads Replacement Incomplete" message which lists all the printheads as needing to be replaced.  I never got that message with the old printheads but now when I switch the old ones back in I get that message.  I tried reseating the printheads many times.  The message still comes up, that all printheads need to be replaced.   I hope the problem will be solved when the last printhead is installed but that will have to wait until the new year.  Any suggestions would be truly appreciated, thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That was it, the window sensor was loose.  This made it impossible to complete the printhead install.  Now running thru setup, lcd says 22 minutes.  Finally working, found out why the last printhead didn't fit, was 70 red printhead, was supposed to be 73! Darn! Using the old expired one for now thanks for all your help.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

This is what my HP Z3200 status looks like, can just one out of warranty printhead prevent the other fresh ones from intsalling correctly?  

HP Recommended
Unload the media, remove all the printhead and ink cartridges. Turn off the plotter from the rear and unplug. Plug back in and power back on in the rear and the plotter should start to initialize. When it asks for the supplies, put the ones back in that it asks for not sure if it will ask for printhead first or ink cartridges. See if you can get to where it asks for paper. If not you will want to remove the printheads and clean the flex connector in the back of the carriage assembly for each printhead. I would also clean the contacts on each printhead that mate with the contacts on the flex connector. See if that helps. Unless one of the printheads is causing a short it should not matter if they are in warranty or not.
HP Recommended

I'll try that, thanks David.  Also just installed the last printhead and still same message.  Had to modify it a a bit, a piece of plastic was preventing the printhead from inserting into the slot.  Cut it, about 1.8 inch corner, then went in fine.

HP Recommended

I have a lint free cloth to clean the contacts with, would you recommend a liquid as well, like alcohol maybe?

I tried removing everything and after turning back on, the printer asked for the ink cartridges first, and each one went in fine, beeped after each one.  Then the print heads, no beep at all for any of them.  After replacing all, still getting "open window to replace print heads or "x" to quit" as if none had been installed. Will try cleaning the contacts now.

HP Recommended
The printheads may not beep but they should show a icon for each in the menu and as you put them in the icon should go from blinking or something else to solid or something else.. Try a different order as one printhead can cause all to error out. Also I am concerned about the piece you had to cut. That tells me you may have gotten the wrong printhead or it is for a color you already have and you are still missing one. The printheads are designed so you can not put the wrong one in another slot which makes me think the piece you cut off was to prevent you from putting it into the slot you put it into.
HP Recommended

That's another issue, once I start the "replace printhead" action, The display shows only "open window or press x to cancel" no matter what I do.  The only one it has recognized so far is the altered one which is strange.  So I'm leaving that one in and adding the others one by one to see if I can get all of them in eventually. Is there perhaps a sensor in the printhead latch that is not being recognized?

HP Recommended

I think I may have found what is preventing me from completing the printhead install.  I took a closer look at the window latch sensor and it is loose, very loose.  I guess I need to remove it to tighten it up, hope that's not too involved.

HP Recommended

That was it, the window sensor was loose.  This made it impossible to complete the printhead install.  Now running thru setup, lcd says 22 minutes.  Finally working, found out why the last printhead didn't fit, was 70 red printhead, was supposed to be 73! Darn! Using the old expired one for now thanks for all your help.

HP Recommended

I'm having the exact problem.. except my window sensor seems fine. I just replaced all the printheads with new [in warranty] printheads.

I have not tried removing media and removing plug from unit.. will try that now. Any other inspiration would be appreciated. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.