Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
DeskJet F4180
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

My printer was printing very light.  I put in a new black cartridge.  The first test page came out in red/blue but no black.

One page, I printed was still very light, and parts of it didn't print.  It was a chart and it left several lines blank, but printed others.

Now, it's not printing at all.  A blank page comes out of the printer.  What can I do to fix this?

Thanks,

Shirley

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@s-dipert

Greetings!

Welcome to the HP Community. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries. I have reviewed your post and I understand, there's an issue with the print quality. 

Don't worry, I'm here to help! 

Let's try these steps -

Step 1 Print a Self Test page - 

1) Load the input tray with unused plain white paper.
2) Press and hold the Cancel button and then press the Start Copy Color button.
3) Release both buttons. The self-test page prints.

Step 2 Look for defects -

Missing lines or streaked bars

If a pattern shows more than a few missing lines, or a bar is streaked, that print cartridge is not functioning properly, click here for the troubleshooting steps.

Color mix

If any of the colors of the bars are very different from the color dots on the cartridge label, the cartridge is not functioning properly, click here to continue troubleshooting.

Missing colors

If any of the color patterns or bars are entirely missing, the cartridge is not functioning properly, click here to continue troubleshooting.

Ink smears

If the self-test report shows smeared ink, you might need to clean your cartridges. Try the steps mentioned in this document.

Let me know how that goes.

To thank us for our efforts to help you, click here to access your public post and Select - "Accept as solution" and click on the  "Thumbs up". 

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@s-dipert

Greetings!

Welcome to the HP Community. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries. I have reviewed your post and I understand, there's an issue with the print quality. 

Don't worry, I'm here to help! 

Let's try these steps -

Step 1 Print a Self Test page - 

1) Load the input tray with unused plain white paper.
2) Press and hold the Cancel button and then press the Start Copy Color button.
3) Release both buttons. The self-test page prints.

Step 2 Look for defects -

Missing lines or streaked bars

If a pattern shows more than a few missing lines, or a bar is streaked, that print cartridge is not functioning properly, click here for the troubleshooting steps.

Color mix

If any of the colors of the bars are very different from the color dots on the cartridge label, the cartridge is not functioning properly, click here to continue troubleshooting.

Missing colors

If any of the color patterns or bars are entirely missing, the cartridge is not functioning properly, click here to continue troubleshooting.

Ink smears

If the self-test report shows smeared ink, you might need to clean your cartridges. Try the steps mentioned in this document.

Let me know how that goes.

To thank us for our efforts to help you, click here to access your public post and Select - "Accept as solution" and click on the  "Thumbs up". 

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.