Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet 70
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

For some time, suddenly (after years of good operation, with only a change of cartridges and printheads), every time I turn it on it print half the test page, stops for about a minute, ejects the sheet and start again, always printing half a page until I turn it off. When it is re-lit it is the same, it does not allow me to print anything else. The result is the same both by lighting it without any printing or with a printout already sent. The control panel does not report any errors. I also tried to change the printheads.

Thanks to anyone who can give me directions

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If the print quality is good for your bussiness you can continue to use the printer, only you will have to press red X every time printer is turned ON and start to align printheads.

If the colours are good then your printheads print good, then you might have defective or dirty line sensor ( that blue and yellow light that reads markings on alignment page), defective trailing cable ( white FFC that connect you carriage with main PCA), defective carriage or defective main PCA. But the cost of repair, if any of the above parts are defective, will be high.

I would stick with pressing red X, that is the cheapest solution to continue working with your printer.

My profile on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Can you take a photo or scan of that page and post it here?

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

here's the picture: interrupted test printhere's the picture: interrupted test print

HP Recommended

That is calibration page it is used to align printheads for best print quality. The printer prints marks in all 4 colours and then light sensor reads those marks and aligns. That bottom right X means that alignment failed, there should be green mark instead of X if alignment went OK.

The main reason for alignment fail is a poor print quality of one or more printheads.

Not sure if it is because of the angle the page has been photographed but it seems that you have poor yellow V marks in the bottom row on the left. 

I would recommend you to clean printheads if that doesn't help you will need to replace the yellow printhead.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-DSJ-t120-series/295935/document/c01704193/

The printer will print every time calibration page when turned ON until it will be calibrated.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your answer, you have been very helpful!

In the original calibration print, yellow is present like other colors.

Now I have found that by pressing the X key on power up I can avoid printing the calibration page, then the designjet works normally. Since I get good prints, with all the colors saturated, including yellow, does not this mean that the heads are in good condition? Given their cost I would like to avoid replacing heads if not necessary.:generic:

I tried to clean the heads (even if they did not look dirty) without changes. Are there any other hypotheses?

HP Recommended

If the print quality is good for your bussiness you can continue to use the printer, only you will have to press red X every time printer is turned ON and start to align printheads.

If the colours are good then your printheads print good, then you might have defective or dirty line sensor ( that blue and yellow light that reads markings on alignment page), defective trailing cable ( white FFC that connect you carriage with main PCA), defective carriage or defective main PCA. But the cost of repair, if any of the above parts are defective, will be high.

I would stick with pressing red X, that is the cheapest solution to continue working with your printer.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

I will certainly go forward with the solution you suggest.

Thanks again for the quick and comprehensive answers

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.