Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended

The unit upgraded the firmware and now I’m getting the generic 79.02:04 error and cannot get the printer to start. I tried rolling back via web browser as it’s the only way I can connect to it. This fails as well. I know it’s the firmware because the error I can see shows something wrong on line 43 and points to an ig_12…. Firmware which the latest it 14. I cannot get the printer to accept the usb drive to try a manual update. The drive is formatted as fat32 and the firmware from hp in on the root of drive with no other files. I tried running recover drive and file check with no luck. What else can be done? At times when I do attempt to do the firmware update via web browser it will then give a 08:11 error.

so my question is why doesn’t the usb drive work and what else should I try?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @Bman9111 

The 79 errors are generic and anything can cause it, so I recommend you removing: printheads, cartridges, paper, network  or usb cables and then rebooting it, if the error persist then run the EEROM reset from the diagnostics menu and if still persist after that due to the 08:11 error the printer could need either a new formatter or Hard Disc or both.

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

>> why doesn’t the usb drive work and what else should I try?

I've seen as many as 4 attempts to boot off USB in order to get the firmware to work.

Try, try again.

I was an HP Customer Engineer from 1995-2002.
During this time, I serviced contract and warranty calls within the Northern Indiana area. When I left HP, I took my HP Designjet service experience and started my own business servicing out of contract plotters. Designjetpartsfast.com was launched in 2009. With over 20 years Designjet experience, I can help you resolve issues you are experiencing with your Designjet Printer.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.