Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq dc7900 minitower
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!  I have been trying to get my audio to work but have had no success.  I recently updated my windows 10 and I think that's when I started having issues (not sure).  The icon of the speaker has an "x" and says "No Audio Output Device is installed".  I had to reinstall my PCI serial port and PCI simple communications controller drivers (successful as far as I know).  But, I still do not have any audio.

I tried the sp45615 driver after some searching but when it runs it stops and says "The audio driver files do not supoort your computer hardware. Note: if you uninstalled audio software without restarting your PC, restart now, then run this setup again."  Troubleshooter also says to restart and the drivers will be applied but I have restarted multiple times now with no luck.

In my device manager, my drivers under sound, video and game controllers are NVIDIA High Definition Audio and it says they are up to date.

Any ideas what my issue is?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @Salmin

I have a dc7900 and it works just fine on W10, including the audio.

I think I know what the problem is though, and it probably existed the moment you installed the nVidia graphics card.

On those old models, whenever you install a video card with an HDMI out port, the PC's BIOS not only thinks that you installed a video card and disabled the onboard video, but it also thinks you installed an audio card (because of the NVIDIA High Definition Audio device you reported), so it also disabled the onboard audio too.

The fix is easy.

Restart the PC.  Tap the F10 key to get into the BIOS.  Under the advanced tab, find the Device Options menu.

Under that category, you will find an onboard audio setting.

It will be set to Disabled.  Change the setting to Enabled, save the setting there where you made the change, and again when you exit the BIOS.

Upon restarting the PC and back into Windows, the onboard audio should be working.

I would then install the W7 sp45615 Soundmax audio driver because it actually works better than the generic one that W10 will install.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Taking into consideration just when your desktop PC was produced, I really must state that your best option would be to roll back that audio device killing update.

You probably know that the last OS your PC was supported in for updated drivers was Windows 7.

Any updates to your desktop will be risky to any Windows OS installed beyond Windows 7.

If you manage to get everything working in Windows 10...Be happy and leave it be.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi, @Salmin

I have a dc7900 and it works just fine on W10, including the audio.

I think I know what the problem is though, and it probably existed the moment you installed the nVidia graphics card.

On those old models, whenever you install a video card with an HDMI out port, the PC's BIOS not only thinks that you installed a video card and disabled the onboard video, but it also thinks you installed an audio card (because of the NVIDIA High Definition Audio device you reported), so it also disabled the onboard audio too.

The fix is easy.

Restart the PC.  Tap the F10 key to get into the BIOS.  Under the advanced tab, find the Device Options menu.

Under that category, you will find an onboard audio setting.

It will be set to Disabled.  Change the setting to Enabled, save the setting there where you made the change, and again when you exit the BIOS.

Upon restarting the PC and back into Windows, the onboard audio should be working.

I would then install the W7 sp45615 Soundmax audio driver because it actually works better than the generic one that W10 will install.

HP Recommended

Hello, @paul_Tikkanen

Thank you so much!! That solved the issue! Ugh, it has been driving me nuts for days! I appreciate your explaination too! I am new at fiddling with computers so that information really helps. You are awesome!  Once again, thank you so much!!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.