Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
hp 500-046
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

After doing a system image backup I wanted to test the recovery disk. To have boot from cd tried changing bios to disable secure boot and enable legacy boot.  Couldn't get pc to boot after that so reset cmos by shorting the pins on mboard.  Now on startup always get 6 beeps and black screen but after a minute windows login screen comes on and it runs fine.  Can't access bios setup screen no matter what key used on startup.  6 beeps indicates a video card issue but no hardware errors indicated in device mgr.  Want to upgrade to Win 10 but fearful about doing it until address this boot issue.  Appreciate all help.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JohnN59,

Thanks for the know information.

Can you try the DVI port on the motherboard

I/O Ports and internal connectors

Back I/O ports

Figure : Back I/O panel

1. USB 2.0: 2

2. Optical S/PDIF-out port

3. VGA

4. DVI-D

5. LAN

6. USB 2.0: 2

7. USB 3.0: 2

8. Audio: Center/Subwoofer port (yellow orange)

9. Audio: Rear Speaker Out port (black)

10. Audio: Side Speaker Out port (gray)

11. Audio: Line In port (light blue)

12. Audio: Line Out port (lime)

13. Audio: Microphone port (pink)

If that does not shows the start up then try the Bios reset/recovery  (windows + B key).

Please keep me updated.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @JohnN59,

Thanks for becoming a member of the HP Support Forums. I understand you are having an issue with the start up and access to BIOS. I will be glad to help you.

I need a little more information to help you.

The 6 beeps is there a pause anywere? eg  2 beep pause 4 beeps.

What type of connect is used for the video? VGA, HDMI, DVD-D.

Were is the video plugged in? A video card or the motherboard.

Is it possible you did the BIOS pin reset to?

Please get back to me so I can help you better.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

Tardis, thanks so much for your response.

On startup the 6 beeps are all the same, all equal, about 1/sec, no pauses.  Current video card is Nvidia GT730 connected to Acer monitor via DVI port.  I did the CMOS reset by shorting the pins.  I haven't yet tried a Bios reset/recovery  (windows + B key).  Maybe that's the next step? Are there pins also to do a Bios reset also?

The MSI mboard:   7778 ver 1.0;  2AEO 1.0;  UEFI: AMI 80.52, onboard Radeon HD graphics .  I have not yet tried pulling out the GT730 and using the mboard vga port.  Current boot status is UEFI with "successful secure boot"  as reported by Belarc Advisor.

John

HP Recommended

@JohnN59,

Thanks for the know information.

Can you try the DVI port on the motherboard

I/O Ports and internal connectors

Back I/O ports

Figure : Back I/O panel

1. USB 2.0: 2

2. Optical S/PDIF-out port

3. VGA

4. DVI-D

5. LAN

6. USB 2.0: 2

7. USB 3.0: 2

8. Audio: Center/Subwoofer port (yellow orange)

9. Audio: Rear Speaker Out port (black)

10. Audio: Side Speaker Out port (gray)

11. Audio: Line In port (light blue)

12. Audio: Line Out port (lime)

13. Audio: Microphone port (pink)

If that does not shows the start up then try the Bios reset/recovery  (windows + B key).

Please keep me updated.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

PROBLEM  SOLVED 

The Nvidia GT730 card requires legacy boot.  I removed video card, went back to onboard graphics and got into setup, Apparently I had renabled secure boot a week ago and that caused the 6 beeps/video card conflict and inability to get into the boot setup menu.   I disabled secure boot and went back to legacy boot.  Reinstalled the GT730 card and got normal startup screens, no beeps and Win loaded fine.   Thanks so much for your assistance.

HP Recommended

Thank you!!

I had the exact same problem. Thanks guys.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.