Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
510-p026
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Attempted to replace the 1TB hard drive in my 510-p026 with a Samsung 860 QVO 1TB Solid State drive.  I was able to clone the drive by attaching the SSD as a USB drive, Windows 10 disk management can see the drive, but when I take the drive and attach it via the SATA connection, the bios will not recognize the drive during boot.  In fact, the system just locks up and will not boot.  I am unable to get into the bios as long as the drive is connected via SATA.  I've seen other posts on the internet about HP bios not recognizing 3rd party SSD drives.  Is there a workaround for this, or does HP have a patch to their bios to recognize an SSD drive from Samsung?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks, for the link showing the workaround.  I've ordered the PCI card and will give it a try.

When I worked for HP years ago, we would do our best to help our customers.  Seems like it is a different company now.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

I have also seen folks having this problem.

I don't know what is happening. Some forum users are suggesting HP is doing this with BIOS updates.

Have not seen a BIOS update to fix this.

Try a HP 2.5 SATA SSD.

Regards

HP Recommended

All I could find on the HP website was product # F3C96AT, that is 1TB in capacity, which looks to be a rebranded Micron drive.  And they want $683.00 for it!  The Samsung drive is about $110.00  Why would HP not support third party drives?  They use 3rd party disk drives in their systems.  The one in my system right now is a Western Digital drive.

HP Recommended

Mimicking @grzwacz response: based on what I read here before you can get any spinning disk working in your particular PC as a boot drive, but not a SSD I'm afraid. It was conscious decision by HP to prohibit users to make their PCs faster cheaply, pushing them to another purchase, obviously.

(unsurprising really in the view of this: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/06/25/gamers_press_pause_on_pc_purchases_shipments_freeze/)

See below thread for reference from last year:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/HP-blocking-SSD-upgrades-with-newer-systems-an...

HP Recommended

Hi Krzemien,

Thanks for the link to that thread.

I remember seeing it but did not look for the link.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks, for the link showing the workaround.  I've ordered the PCI card and will give it a try.

When I worked for HP years ago, we would do our best to help our customers.  Seems like it is a different company now.

HP Recommended

Well, there's another thread I can share with you only confirming HP approach:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/Omen-32-FreeSync-and-Text-Mode/td-p/59...

Although extremely annoying, no hard feelings really - all other vendors/suppliers are exactly the same!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.