Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
P7-1423w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I tried to add memory 8gb to the additional memory slot. 

All I receive is a black screen.

I swapped memory in the original slot and it works fine. 8 gb.

I tried placing new and old memory in the additional slot alone and I get a black screen.

HP P7-1423w

I'm using Windows 10, Bios 8.20 REV. A 

Original Memory m378b1g73bh0-ck0

Additional Memory m378b1g73db0-ck0

Any suggestions?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

When you get a blank screen, does the system  beep?

What happens when you only install the NEW module? (in both slots)

What does the NEW module say on the sticker (eg PC3L-12800s)

Thanks.

HP Recommended

It might be that the second slot is knackered.

Or - more likely - it might be that these modules, although look very alike, are not, and do not like each other.

-> Compare what you see in CPU-Z in memory tab for each of these modules (one by one). If there are diferences, then most likely it's the answer.

And:

-> Get a matched pair off Amazon (so you can return without hassle) and replace the ones you have / try again.

HP Recommended

1. No beeps when installed. Either new or old in the additional slot. 

2. The screen stays blank if there are two modules installed or if the original slot is blank and either module is in the additional slot.

3. Both stickers new and original read PC3-12800

HP Recommended

The slot is perfect.

I believe the computer isn't reading the slot

HP Recommended

We both are correct.

1 & 2. PC works when either memory module sits in slot #1 - which I guess is a primary slot.

-> That confirms that both modules independently are okay and slot #1 is okay either.

-> That also indiactes that PC will not work with memory sitting in slot #2 (I guess: secondary) - which is expected. Slot #2 is probably okay as well.

3. This label does not make them identical (they're not the same model: m378b1g73bh0-ck0 vs. m378b1g73db0-ck0)

- there might be difference in regime of works (timing & voltage) which will not allow them to work as a pair.

Download this chappy

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

And check / compare what yoiu see under SPD tab. Example here:

http://i45.tinypic.com/ve1184.jpg

HP Recommended

Original SPD.PNGOriginalNew SPD.PNGNew

HP Recommended

Can't see them yet, they need to be approved by moderators.

Do they show the same information though?

In either case it's really worth trying what I suggested earlier: buy PC3-12800 2 x 8GB pair from Amazon / elswehere - so you can return them - and check if they work correctly.

HP Recommended

Everything is the same.

I believe it's the slot not being read by the computer, over being the memory.

HP Recommended

Based on everything mentioned, I believe you have a faulty slot 2 on the mainboard. I have seen that before.

RAM slots are honestly not that fickle when it comes to pairing ram. as long as the modules are the same type and speed, (eg. PC3-12800s) they should work together. I mix brands all the time (Hynix, Samsung, Kingston etc..) which will have minor differences, but I've never had a problem between HP & Dell desktops, laptops, servers, workstations & all in one units.

I've checked, anf there's no newer BIOS for your unit.

As long as you can return the module's, you could try buying two EXACT modules, but I personally wouldn't bother. I think you're stuck with 8GB until you get a new PC. Sorry.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.