Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Two new Pcs recently purchased. Both work fine without USB hard drives connected.
If USB drive connected (WD Elements 4TB, formatted as single partition, NTFS) the PC (either one) will hang on restart with blank screens. Eventually (after about 20 minutes or so) the PC will boot to display HP logo, then after another delay will eventually boot as normal. If the PC is shut down, then powered on again with power switch PC will boot normally (with drive connected). Problem only occurs if restart option is used. Cold start and restore from sleep are fine.

System info:
System Model HP ProDesk 400 G7 Microtower PC
System SKU 11M79EA
BIOS Version/Date HP S03 Ver. 02.05.01, 05/01/2021

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Within BIOS SETUP, under "Boot Order", there might be a list of devices for "normal" start, and a different list of devices for restart after an "error". Check that "USB" devices are excluded from both lists.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the suggestion. I've re-checked, but I do not have a "restart after error" option.

I have the settings set to only boot from the SSD (all other boot options disabled).

I have also tried changing the "fast start-up" option from within Windows.

I've tried the drive on an older PC running Win7. All works fine.

I've also tried a portable USB (WD Passport) drive on the same USB port, and all works fine.

It seems the issue is specific to this PC / drive combination.

I've also re-formatted the drive.

HP Recommended

@Cabletie 

I have an HP PC with this very same issue -- and I have not found any solution to it that works and I have done all the things suggested.

The PC will attempt to boot from anything connected to a USB port. Period.  IF that is a bootable device, then all is OK.  If it is not, then the PC will hang until I pull the USB device and reboot.  Thus, I can not have USB sticks connected when I boot the PC.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.