Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Elite HPE-400y
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I moved my PC to another desk/room and now it won't turn on.  The LED light on the back is solid.  I have tried different plugs, but the monitor and the printer both work out of the same plugs.  I have unplugged and held the power button for 5 seconds, and 10 seconds and replugged, but still nothing.  It was working fine before this, what can I do, please help!  

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Okay, the power supply LED is solid green. This means you are getting power from AC.

Any front/top PC LED activity or sounds (fans spinning, HDD noise, or optical drive spin up sounds) coming from the PC when you press the power switch?

Did you check/reseat the data cable connected to the monitor and the back of the PC? Are you connecting the data cable to the correct video out port at the back of the PC?

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you for responding!  Yes, solid green, no sounds at all.   I have reseated the data cable several times.  I see only 1 possible spot to put it in, but I even took a picture of the back before unplugging everything before moving.  I did have to replace the power supply because it did this and it was the power supply that was dead.  It did turn on with the new one prior to moving it.  I've afraid it picked now to just die.  Any other suggestions though, could it be the CMOS battery?  I've never had to change one, but willing to try if that's a possibility.  Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Hi Debbiel,

You're very welcome.

Replacing the CR2032 motherboard (MB) battery is an inexpensive option. Try this.

No PC sounds or PC LED activity when trying to start your PC suggests a possible power supply problem again or a motherboard problem. A solid green LED on the power supply usually means the power supply is okay.

Your PC is around nine years old. CR2032 MB batteries don't usually last this long.

All components fail as they age.

Have you tried starting your PC with only a keyboard, mouse, and monitor attached? It is also good to only connect a monitor at system startup to see if the system will Power On Self Test and get to the Windows sign in screen.

Regards

HP Recommended

Ok, I will get a battery and hopefully replace that tomorrow, if I can find on YouTube to follow...lol.   The only thing plugged in is the plug for the monitor and the little usb for the wireless keyboard and mouse.  I don't have a ethernet, it's coming tomorrow because I needed a longer one.  I did use one from another room when I tried it the first time, but that wouldn't keep it from coming on right, would only prevent me from going online?  And wow, I didn't realize it was 9 years old, was thinking more like 5-6 years.  I guess at 9 years old, I won't cry too much if I have to replace it.  I'll let you know if the battery works though.  Thanks again!  

HP Recommended

Hi Debbiel,

You're very welcome.

HP released your product for sale in 2010 (Link to product specs).

Here is a (Link) to a picture of your motherboard (MB).

The battery is located below or above the PCIe x16 graphics card slot. I am saying below or above because HP sometimes inverts the MB when installing it in some consumer products.

Visually inspect the MB and the graphics card for thermal damage or leaking/bulging capacitors while you are changing the battery. Also check all connections to verify nothing is disconnected.

Clean fans, heatsinks, etc. with compressed air or a dust buster if you have a lot of accumulated dust. Loads of dust can cause shorts which would prevent a successful system startup.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you ever so much for all of the links and info!  I did get the battery and installed it but it still won’t come on.   I did use the air can but not much dust came out.  I guess I’ve at least kept it clean anyway.

im still watching YouTube videos but none I’ve seen are my kind of dead.  No fans or noise, just the green light.   I guess I will start looking at new towers or laptops.   
I really appreciate all your help!  

HP Recommended

Hi Debbiel,

Buying a new PC may be the best option given the age of your PC.

You could have a local PC tech diagnose the problem with this PC. 

Doing this yourself requires only using a monitor and pulling all attached motherboard components, one at a time, then starting the PC after you remove one component to see if it will Power On Self Test (POST).

You do this until you get a POST or a BIOS POST error message, this will isolate the bad component, or you work your way down to the motherboard being the failed part.

It is time consuming and requires using known, good replacement components.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi, I'm having a problem also. When I switch on the fans work, green light at the back is on. Screen has the message - analogy input in power save mode.

help!

HP Recommended

Hi Mandymoomoo,

Please provide your HP PC product number only.

Are you using the HP factory video solution installed at the factory? I need to know if you have a add in graphics card or you are using on board graphics.

Your problem may be different.

The PC may be starting correctly but your monitor is entering power saving mode.

Check data connections (the video cable) to the monitor and the rear of the PC. One of both connections may not be seated correctly.

It is also possible you have a graphics card problem; no video output from the PC to the monitor.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.