Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 750
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Brand new HP Envy 750-267c.  Windows 10 Home.

Initial boot was painfully slow (took about 15 minutes but I assume it was due to the fact that it was doing initial setup).

Purchased upgrade to Pro on MS store and installed.  Again, a slow process but it completed in about the same amount of time as the initial boot.

Eliminated the annoying requirement that Microsoft forces you to use your email address as a login so they can control your life (sorry, I had to get that off my chest).

Joined the PC to the Domain at work and added a domain user as admin on the PC.  Went without a hitch.  Powered down the PC and brought it to my home office to complete the installation of applications. On first boot (at home) received a message indicating that the secure boot signature was invalid (or something to that effect) and the PC wouldn't boot. I never got to install any applications.  Performed all the suggested checks including UEFI disk checks... passed them all.

Tried turning off secure boot and turning on legacy boot... no joy, still wouldn't boot. Turned legacy boot off and secure boot back on.

Downloaded Windows 10 iso (different PC) and burned a new Windows 10 installation DVD.  (Envy 750 came without disks, saved HP at least 50 cents) Booted to the installation DVD, selected new install but when the install screen came up I selected fix computer option and then fix boot issues.  It said it fixed some problems but the PC still wouldn't boot. Did that several times… no joy.

Went round and round with the circular firing squad of suggested remedies for the next 8 hours... no joy.  Finally gave up and replaced the HDD with a new drive exact same manufacturer and model#, booted the install DVD and installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 Home.  Reinstalled the upgrade to Pro and the system was back to operational.

Out of curiosity I installed the original drive (the one that won't boot) as a second drive in the PC and re-booted.  The PC booted fine and the original drive displayed as drive D in file explorer.  All the files were there including the Windows directory as well as the second user profile I had created.  I ran every test I could find on drive D and it passed every one of them.

Sorry for the length of my post but some things just need to be said. Now that I’m feeling better… any suggestions on how I can get the original disk to boot?    

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi@Jyuma,

Thanks for the response.

Glad to hear that the issue is fixed for now. You may reach HP forums for any issues in the future.

Hope the information shared will help you. Please share for more.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Jyuma

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. I read your post and regret the inconvenience caused to you with your new HP ENVY Desktop - 750-267c. Without prejudice, I appreciate the steps you have performed so patiently and have certainly done a great job.

I'm glad to know that the PC is working. However, I understand that you need the Windows recovery disks for your PC. If your PC is still not booting up with the original HDD as the main HDD then you need to contact HP phone support to order the recovery media. Recovery media normally comes for a charge, but considering the situation the charges can be waived off. You will need to explain to the phone support agent precisely.

You may reach phone support by filling out an online form on www.hp.com/contacthp.

If the laptop boots up with the original HDD then you can create the recovery media yourself. Feel free to let me know how it goes. I'm always here to support. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks Kazi

After finding nothing wrong with the original HDD after extensive testing, I decided to re-connect it as the boot HDD and remove the replacement HDD.  To be clear, I returned to PC to the original configuration with the original HDD being the only drive connected.

I powered up the PC and for reasons that defy logic, the PC booted.  It took an exceptionally long time to boot but it did boot.  I entered the user id and password for the user I had added after joining the domain and the screens that displayed were the same ones that displayed when I originally created the user.  By that I mean the system was treating the user as if it was a brand new user instead of a returning user.  It went through all the screens saying things like "were getting things ready for you" when in fact the user had already been created and had logged on several times already.

After all the hand-holding feel good messages about getting things ready I finally got to a desktop and everything appeared to be ok...  that is, until I ran Settings/Update.  The Update applet in Settings said there was an update to install so I clicked the install now.  After it ran it returned and error and said that it would run it again later.  Ever since that update failed the PC won't shut down when I click Power Off.  The screen goes blank after several minutes but the PC never powers down. 

I pulled the plug... removed the original HDD... reinstalled the new HDD as the only drive and then powered back up.  The PC booted fine... one might even say fast, and responed as expected after I entered the user id and password.   I did not attempt to run the update that the system said was available but instead clicked the power off button.  The PC shut down fully within 10 -15 seconds.

With the original drive in, the PC won't power off... ever.

With the new drive in, the power off works perfectly. 

I'm beginning to wonder if maybe Windows 10 on an HP Envy 750-267c isn't the best choice for OS. 

Does anybody know if Windows 7 drivers are available for this PC?         

HP Recommended

@Jyuma

You're welcome. 🙂 Again I appreciate the in-depth troubleshooting that you have performed. Yes, Win7 drivers are available on the HP website and can be downloaded via this link: http://hp.care/2hfT2ah

If none of the troubleshooting steps worked then you could check with the place of purchase to explore replacement options for the new PC. Otherwise, you could reach phone support by filling out an online form on www.hp.com/contacthp

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks again! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks again Kazi

Unfortunatley the link you gave me to obtain Windows 7 drivers for the Envy 750-267c only provided drivers for 50% of problem.

The Chipset wouldn't install nor would the Graphics or the Storage.  Apparently the drivers available from the HP support site are for Intel based systems but my Envy 750 is AMD based... AMD graphics cards and AMD chipset.  I don't quite understand why the HP support site wouldn't know that but we'll leave that discussion for another time.

Do you know of a site that has all the drivers for Windows 7 x64 running on an HP Envy 750-267c AMD machine?

Thank You

Ed

HP Recommended

@Jyuma

You're welcome! 🙂 

The Windows 7 graphics card can be downloaded from this link: http://hp.care/2ht3r39.

I checked and could not find the chipset drivers though. However, the Windows 7 OS should install the chipset drivers by itself. 

Please check in the Device Manager if you see a yellow exclamation mark or question mark next to any device. 

I hope this helps. Let me know. Thank you! 🙂

HP Recommended

No joy on Windows 7 finding it's own drivers.

I had to go to the AMD support page and download the chipset driver for Windows 7 x64.

The chipset driver from the AMD site handled all of the yellow exclamation marks in device manager.

The computer is running fine now.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi@Jyuma,

Thanks for the response.

Glad to hear that the issue is fixed for now. You may reach HP forums for any issues in the future.

Hope the information shared will help you. Please share for more.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.