Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 6200 Pro Microtower

Hi,

I recently got hold off an Intel Core I7-2600k. I decided to put it in my Compaq 6200 MT, but it won't post, and just beeps 6 times. I came across another post on this forum where a person said that it would work (https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktops-Archive-Read-Only/cpu-upgrade-on-6200-pro/td-p/6109170). 

What i have tried so far:

-The old CPU still works on this computer, so the pins are not bent or damaged. 

-Updated BIOS to the latest version (2.33 i think).

-Checked that the chipset is compatible (Intel Q65 Express )

Does anyone have any suggestions. Im simply lost to what more I can do. Could it be that the CPU is defect? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

See the troubleshooting guide at the link below, Appendix A, page 58 for how to troubleshoot the 6 beep code error.

c01516072.pdf (hp.com)

But you indicated the PC works fine with the original processor installed, so that is why I don't understand why the PC threw a 6 beep video error code, unless the i7-2600K is not allowing the onboard video to work for some reason.

I suppose you could try it with a compatible PCIe x16 video card installed, and see if it works.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

You have to look at the HP specs for the PC which are below.

HP Compaq 6200 Pro Series (highspeedbackbone.net)

The i7-2600K is not a supported processor.  See pages 6 & 7.

But...here is another discussion where another forum member did install a processor that should have worked, and it didn't.

HP 6200 pro SFF installed I7 2600 and will not restart why - HP Support Community - 7565151

Usually 6 beeps means there is an issue with the video, so I don't know why the PC reacted that way.

HP Recommended

Issue with the video? I have tried without the VGA cable plugged in, so do you mean like the intergrated graphics?

HP Recommended

Hi:

See the troubleshooting guide at the link below, Appendix A, page 58 for how to troubleshoot the 6 beep code error.

c01516072.pdf (hp.com)

But you indicated the PC works fine with the original processor installed, so that is why I don't understand why the PC threw a 6 beep video error code, unless the i7-2600K is not allowing the onboard video to work for some reason.

I suppose you could try it with a compatible PCIe x16 video card installed, and see if it works.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.