Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 32 All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am having an issue with my HP Envy 32 AIO with the GeForce RTX 2060 graphics card. 

Recently I updated to Nvidia's Studio Driver version 451.48 released on June 24th 2020. After the update, my computer was crashing like the power was being turned off. The screen would go black and I would have to manually press the power button to turn it back on. It would then go through reconstructing data and boot back to Windows like normal. However, within about 5 minutes of normal use (browsing internet, no gaming or anything) it would suddenly turn off again.

This happened about 4 times before I decided to roll back the graphics driver through device manager in the control panel. After rolling back the drivers, the crashing stopped.

I received a response from a user on Nvidia's website that this is a power supply problem and that graphics drivers could not cause a power loss crash like the one I am experiencing. 

Is this a potential power supply issue or could a driver cause this? I had not installed any other drivers today and my BIOS was updated a few days ago to the latest version through Support Assist without any issue.

Can anyone help me with this? For now, my system is stable but I am wondering if the power supply really needs attention or not. 

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi,

It's hard to say if you have a external power supply problem. You would have to try a new power adapter to see if the problem goes away or persists.

I would use Nvidia Game Ready Drivers if your system is now stable.

Regards

HP Recommended

I have the HPEnvy32-a0012na with RTX 2080 GPU. I updated the GPU Driver (to 451.48) via GE Force Experience today and in less than 30 minutes experienced a total power-down! At first I though the breaker in the house had tripped but, it was the PC that had 'crashed' without notice or blue-screen.

It would seem that there IS an issue with this driver update on HP AIO systems. Thanks for the heads up, I'll probably roll back today so as to avoid any hardware damage.

HP Recommended

Wouldn't appear to be a PSU issue as I had the same problem today after updating to that driver package. Rolled back to 442.92 and all is stable.

I have contacted nVidia support via online chat, submitted my MSinfo and the issue with the new driver is being escalated...

HP Recommended

Thanks for confirming this for me. I was going crazy.

I contacted HP through the Support Assist chat app. The technician had me flash BIOS upgrade, which I had already done previously. Then after that I proceeded to install these new drivers while he was remote viewing my desktop.

Needless to say, my computer crashed twice while the support app was open. He saw both crashes. This happened within minutes of each other.

I am a bit disappointed because he didnt even offer to roll back to the previous drivers. He simply sent me a generic message stating that I could escalate the issue with HP Friends something or other for a nominal fee?! I dont get that. He then disconnected from my computer and was like "thanks bye". I couldnt even take the information down cause my computer crashed like right after he sent they message. Then he closed out the ticket!! The issue wasnt even resolved!!

Like **bleep** bro? My computer was crashing and you ditch me like that? Anyway I rolled back to the previous driver again and the crashing stopped. No one at Nvidia has gotten back to me after I submitted an official report.

Oh well. I just wont use these drivers. Very disappointed with the way the HP tech handled it. If I was not savvy enough to know how to correct the issue myself I would have a $2000+ machine that would be worthless right now.

HP Recommended

Hi @Dhamih

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dhamih, I see that 'support' have offered their assistance once again but, if your last experience was anything to go by it'll likely be of no use, especially if the last 'tech' didn't even suggest rolling back the driver through system settings. Like you I have some experience with IT (30+ years in fact), so it's disappointing to be on the receiving end of poorly scripted tech support responses from people with no engineering skillset. Not only do I have this same nVidia Driver issue but, I'm still unable to update the BIOS on my AIO from F12 to F15 as it just doesn't hold - I think it's just one of the problems with being an early adopter of HPs newer systems; we just end up being unpaid Beta testers!

Hope things get sorted between HP and nVidia because I too paid £3K for a system which is proving to be a little stubborn with software upgrades...

My Rig: HP ENVY All-in-One 32-a0012na. P/N: 9QH13EA#ABU. Spec: i7 9700 @ 3Ghz+32GB DDR4+512GB /32GB Optane SSD+nVidia RTX2080 (8GB GDDR6). OS: Windows 10 Pro (64) Ver 2004.
HP Recommended

Hi Bryan,

With regards to the driver, I just simply rolled it back and I am probably going to wait out this update cycle on the video card. This latest driver from Nvidia is hands-down crashing the system. For your information, I am running on version 442.92 released 4/16/2020. Under "Driver" properties for in Device Manager its listed as "26.21.14.4292". This one is stable.

As far as the BIOS upgrade is concerned, which is a much more important issue for you, have you tried installing the BIOS update through Support Assist? If that didn't work, there is a direct download link for the BIOS installation program and all the other drivers for our model. Here is the webpage:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-all-in-one-pc-32-a0000i/29051861/model/3364...

Its "sp104337.exe". 

By the way, not sure if you know this, but to check your BIOS version you can press the windows Start button, type in "cmd" to open a command prompt window. Type in "systeminfo" and hit enter. It will list your system information and the BIOS version will be there. Should say "AMI F.15" if its installed properly. If it does not, then yea.... you will need to try and flash the update again.

I wouldn't touch the new Nvidia drivers until next cycle.

HP Recommended

I'm also back to driver version 442.92 and the system is stable.

Regarding my other issue; the BIOS flash appears to go through its install properly and also 'verifies' but, upon checking within the OS the BIOS remains at version F12. I have attempted a direct install using the SP but that too fails to overwrite. I have a separate post on the issue within this community [here]  and I have contacted HP via message.

I do not want to attempt the BIOS update outside of the OS (via USB boot/DOS) just in case it corrupts the eProm and I'm left with a worthless bricked PC. I shall just do as I am with the nVidia drivers and see if there is a future update from HP that will actually work 🤔

It may be worth update/change the title of your original post to include 'nVidia Driver v451.48 crashes Envy 32 AIO' so other people can see it more easily??

Update: I also tried the later version of the Game Ready drivers instead of the Studio drivers... same shutdown result. In fact the computer only stayed live for about 1 minute before it instantly powered off. I had to use Safe Mode to re-install the old Studio Driver froma downloaded file because I couldn't get enough time to do it from within Windows before the PC shut off again! The v451.48 definitely screw up our HP AIO RTX 20xx machines!!! 😡

HP Recommended

Further update to the nVidia Drivers issue:

I downloaded and installed the latest 'game ready' drivers from the nVidia website having been notified a new release was available - this was version 451.67 released 9th July 2020.

I can attest to the fact that update 451.67 driver package FAILS to address issue of instantaneous power failure on certain my 'HP ENVY All-in-One-32-a0012na' fitted with 'NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 with Max-Q Design'.

The system suffered a total power failure within 5 minutes of installing the new drivers and that was on an almost nil load environment in Windows 10.

Luckily for me, once the checkdisk had completed and I got back into Windows, I was able to [Rollback] the driver to version 442.92 which so far seems to be the last STABLE release from nVidia for the HP AIO 32-axxx & RTX fitted series of machines.

Until HP can come up with some certified drivers themselves through Support Assistant, I'd avoid the updates directly  from nVidia.

~Peace Out Dudes~

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.