Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Elite e9220y Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I know this is an old computer, but I'm still wondering if I can get some help. Yesterday, my computer stopped posting video even though the fans still work when I press the power button, which won't glow blue once I press it. Would prefer help that doesn't require me opening up the PC. 
Thank you, 
DMVfan123

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello
sorry, but it will have to open
I only find this model, can you check, give a link?
if it is this

HP Pavilion Elite e9220y 
remove the graphics card, and connect the screen to the motherboard

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Yes that is the model, and I was told that before the computer started acting this way, it said that the graphics cable may be loose? Something to do with the graphics cable anyway. May have to call someone to do a diagnostic. By any chance, do you have the manual for this model as well? 

HP Recommended

Hp gradually withdraws the documents
so there's not much left
I found this

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01882158

you should be able to find manuals probably on specialized manual sites

ex:

https://www.helpowl.com/manuals/HP/PavilionElitee9200/62747

if not, videos on youtube

You have few options, and I'm not sure it's worth spending a lot of money on going to see someone.
You can do at least basic tests, and quite simple
Just try another cable to connect the screen, just another screen
and as I said remove the video card

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

There's a lot of important documents on the computer and I'm not very comfortable with opening up a computer that old. We should've upgraded the desktop a long time ago but there's not much we can do at present. 

HP Recommended

@DMVfan123 -- when you power-on your computer, do the fans now run at full speed, making more noise than before?

If so, the computer is failing to complete the POST (Power On Self Test), and thus is not trying to load Windows from your computer's disk-drive.  Ouch!

If you are not comfortable with opening-up your computer's case, I recommend that you take your computer to a computer technician.  But, the prognosis might be "it's dead, Jim. It has ceased to be. It is an ex-computer."

HP Recommended

No, the fans seem to be running at the same amount of speed as usual. Probably going to call a technician to run a diagnosis. 

HP Recommended

Once again ...
It's up to you, if you prefer to see a professional, but know that it will have a certain cost, for fear of being a result, not terrible see this discussion:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/My-Computer-will-not-turn-on-No...

If you want to recover the data, you could avoid this expense.. @DMVfan123 
If you don't want to do it yourself, maybe a relative, a friend, could do it
It's not difficult, if the hard drive works, just remove it, connect it to another computer, and copy them to a USB hard drive.
From what you've told me, it sounds like a motherboard failure, but it could be something else, like the memory..
The computer is quite old, repairing it will be of little interest, because depending on the problem it may be expensive, and the computer may break down again.
The best would be just to recover his hard drive, in this case
find a usb adapter, it could be used with a recent computer then as an external drive

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Reading your replies....I think it's in my best interest to just get a new one. Hard drive most likely works so I may just take your suggestion and retrieve the data that way. I've opened up computers before so I'm sure it won't be too hard. Thanks for the advice

HP Recommended

you're welcome @DMVfan123 

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.