Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

My fix for this on a 250 G6 (I had 3 of these doing exactly the same thing as were brand new)

1. Burn a new 1703 Windows 10 disc using the media creation tool.

2. Restart and boot to CD/DVD

3. Install windows - Custom Install - Select the primary windows partition only (you dont need to format).

After setting up for the first time etc and completeing all available windows updates (doesnt take long), I have had no further issues. Windows 10 activates itself during the setup, no need for a key. There was no need to alter the recovery or any of the HP partitions so you can easily restore the device in the future. No need to disable any services or WU.

I'm guessing its a bug in the HP image.

Hope helps 🙂

HP Recommended

I didn't get very far with HP support on this one, as nobody seems to have.  All they wanted to do was tell me the system files are corrupt and that I needed to reset the PC.  I told them I'd factory reset twice, to which they said "then you need to factory reset, this will fix"...they proceeded to say I could not return the PC as it was Microsoft's fault that the PC does not work out of the box and that I would have to wait for MS to fix it.  Sweet.

HP Recommended

Strange how this only seems to be an issue for the user who installed the update.  Newly created users seem to logon just fine (on my PC).

HP Recommended

See my previous message. It works.

Restoring doesnt work. I tried that first using the factory image in the recovery partition and the issue is present after completing updates.

HP Recommended

This really needs to be marked as NOT SOLVED. If reading above... works by installing from Windows 10 ISO, then there is indeed something wrong with the HP Build, and it is HP who need to look at the build image, or come up with a fix for the build image that is installed on their machines.

If HP talk to Microsoft, and work with their techies who know exactly how the "App readiness" service works... then surely a resolution can be found.

Ex-Compaq accredited ProLiant Engineer, Windows 3.11,95, 98, 2000, NT 4 and XP admin, Netware 4.11 administrator, and now have a go dabbler with 7,8 and 10. A bit rusty, but still get there...eventually 🙂
HP Recommended

Tubes, yes yours works but most folk are not competent to complete a clean Windows install and then add the HP bloatware, if they want it.

My TEMPORARY fix is to create a text file (c:\temp\progress.bat - you might need to set explorer to show file extensions) that has in it:

@echo off

net stop appreadiness

net start appreadiness

exit

I've then used task scheduler to run the batch file (with highest privileges) each time the user logs on.  It's almost seamless but for the black box when the command runs.  I'll stop this task when a fix comes out.

This takes only a few mins even for a novice.  In fact it was faster than my dispute with HP over doing a 3rd factory reset.

HP Recommended

kb4038788 gave me the black screen problem on my new hp envy.

disabling  app readiness service "fixes" it.

I used gpedit.msc to enable 'configure automatic updates' and set it to '  2 = Notify before downloading and installing any updates.'

My sad story -

Apparently this update was automatically installed on 9/12 but no reboot before I shut down on 9/13. Then I took it to a meeting with 100 people to show a powerpoint for our featured guest speaker. I turn it on and get the black screen after login. I panic and reboot multiple times and try other random solutions until finally I booted into bios troubleshooting and rolled back before the last restore point, uninstalling kb4038788  and everything is fine. I go home and kb4038788  is automatically reinstalled and I get the black screen again, only this time I see in task manager it is doing a ton of disk i/o and finally starts working OK after a few minutes.  disabling  app readiness and power cycling shows it is now 'fixed'

hp envy x360 convertible 13-y0xx
product number w8q19av
system board id 82b7
born on 8/9 2017
bios f.06 american megatrends
feature byte 3H3X 476b 7K7N aBap aqaw bVbh
            bmbn bzd8 dUdp dqew fm .YN

HP Recommended

My advice to everyone is CONTACT HP SUPPORT - I know it's hard and annoying but the more people report it (ideally threaten to return the PC), the more inclined they will be to fix.

HP Recommended

Hey Guys,

I'm from Media Markt Almere Netherlands and I have several customers with this problem. With me I could just solve it by going in to recovery:

(For people not knowing how to come here, boot up your pc and when you see the windows circle spinning power off your pc and do the same thing 3 times until your pc goes to recovery)

Now in recovery do a "boot recovery", it may take a while but afterwards it booted straid up into Windows 10 without issue.

I already tried going back in time with windows restore but this only worked for a few minutes until the update came back. Afterwards I tried the new solution what seemed to work.

Hope you guys can fix your pc's aswell!

Greets,

Media Markt

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help.

I have the new HP Envy 17-AE0xx

I have this problem too...

Good job we all have at least one more PC working in order to find the problems on the web.

I had no idea of the true fault and so went on Microsoft help sites.

They said it may have been a corrup user profile, so from a safe mode i created a new user name with admin.

And sure enough i could then re-log in to the PC using the new profile.

However, windows then wanted to update the PC and so i let it.. afterwareds both my profiles had the same problem.

I then decided to restore to an earleir restore point.. about 3 days prior.

This then fixed my problem and so i stopped all future updates from Windows and HP etc.

I take my PC away with me, if this had happend while having no other access to the web then i would have been in the mior.

Think i'll leave it the way it is for now.. even though ive stopped the app in question.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.