Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Paviliion 550-130na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have posted this problem previously but seem to have misunderstood the process etc..as no further answers have been suggested - hence I am re stating the problem which I still have.

Computer will not start up and it takes as many as ten attempts to do so.

The computer starts up but no display appears.

I have done numerous hard starts after removing power cables etc 

I have used the HP help programme and carried out  System Extensive tests - all found ok

Sometimes messages appear on screen after the HP logo eventualy appears, which state 'Preparing automatic repair', followed by 'Diagnosing your compute'r which then allows me to 'start up'

Does this mean I must re-install Windows 10 - I hesitate to do this expecting loss of files/programmes etc..

I hope someone can help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Malygris1

I carried a DPS Self-test which found no problem.  I wasn't sure if this was the correct one to do no if there were other tests I shoud have done.

Stil had same problems at start up today.  I then decided to contact HP Chat on line - they have helped, by remotely sorting things out on my computer.   Coud not follow what exactly was done,  However it has (so far) worked correctly.

Many thanks for your help over these past couple of weeks.

John 169

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi there @John169,

For some reason I did not see your later reply in our previous conversation.

Since you are now stuck in an auto-repair loop,  you should at some point see the Windows 10 boot options menu. If the boot options menu does not come up, then try following this: Three Ways to Access the Windows 8 or 10 Boot Options Menu -howtogeek.com. When you do get into the Boot options, please do the following: 

Choose Troubleshoot > Advanced Options.
Select Command Prompt from list of options.
When Command Prompt appears, enter the following commands as written and press Enter after each line in order to run it:

bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot

Restart your computer and see if it now starts normally.

If the Boot options menu never comes up, then you will need to make a bootable windows disc to get into that environment 

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Dear Malygris1

Many thanks for your reply and suggestions

I shall try as you have explained and will let you know if successful or not

Thanks

John169

HP Recommended

Hi Malygris1

I carried out the options you suggested. 

I then was able to start the computer 5 times without problem, so assued the issue was solved.

However, after leaving the computer turned off overnight, I have once again had the same start up problems, taking  5 times to get the machine to start up, after getting those same  'Preparing automatic repair'  messages  etc....

Can you help any further please?

HP Recommended

I would suggest doing a full set of hardware diagnostics, and see if anything comes up at all.  There is either a hardware issue, or software issue. It may be that the hard drive has become intermittent, and I would recommend that you do all the tests you can on the drive.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hello Malygris1

I carried a DPS Self-test which found no problem.  I wasn't sure if this was the correct one to do no if there were other tests I shoud have done.

Stil had same problems at start up today.  I then decided to contact HP Chat on line - they have helped, by remotely sorting things out on my computer.   Coud not follow what exactly was done,  However it has (so far) worked correctly.

Many thanks for your help over these past couple of weeks.

John 169

HP Recommended
I am also having the same prblm with my prodct
Product name- Hp 15-ay020tu
Operating system-windows 10(64-bit)

Wht should i do?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.