Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP500-549 Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP500-549

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-500-Desktop-PC-series/7477729/model/7519...

Originally came with W8.1

Upgraded to W10 64bit almost a year ago. Never had any issues.

BIOS ver was "original":

80.02 Rev.A HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2B35)

Yesterday, updated BIOS to "recommended" rev:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-500-Desktop-PC-series/7477729/model/7519...

A0.07 Rev.A HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2B35)

Immediatelly PC went into 8 beeps and "HP BIOS UPDATE":

- The System BIOS is being recovered

- The System BIOS recovery is complete. Upon restarting the screen may be blank, etc.

Goes into BLUE Screen: A System BIOS Recovery has occured. BIOS Recovery (500). ENTER - Continue Startup. For more information, please visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup

I've tried so many options:

- Created a USB drive with latest BIOS. The update goes smoothly as above, then on reboot beeps 8 times and goes into Recovery again

- Tried to press Esc to get into UEFI - no luck. Wanted to get to "Rollback" option

- When i tried to flash with the original 80.02 Rev.A firmware - it "did not pass validation", or would simply say that BIOS recovery Failed.

- When i flash BIOS with A0.07 Rev.A - everything goes normal, but on restart it beeps 8 times and goes into loop.

MayDay! SOS!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

KHodPry1 ,

You are correct, HP technical support is not really technical and not really support. 

It's a waste of time and potentially spending more money on spares, data recovery, etc.

I simply gave up on calling HP "help line". And also, after talking to HP support, i started receiving some bogus phone calls demanding my personal information, ip address, asking to get my permission to login, etc. I told those idiots to turn on their damaged brain cells - how could one login if PC was totally DEAD?! That was a scam for sure, but they claimed to be "from HP" and timing was perfect... How did they get my number? Eh?!

Anyways, i fixed my PC by ordering a brand new BIOS Chip and programming tools. Then i programmed it with OLD firmware, and soldered the new chip to the MB. Everything works fine after that and i  am NOT tempted to update BIOS firmware EVER!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Greetings @HPUEFI

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are getting 8 beeps on startup and the computer is not booting. Happy to help. 

Do you add any new hardware to your computer?

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

Recommend you to keep tapping ESC on startup and check if you get the startup menu. 

If the computer boots to the startup menu, please run a complete system test.

If any test fails, please replace the failed component or contact our phone support for the service options. 

Other articles to try. 

HP Desktop PCs - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code

HP Desktop PCs - Recovering the BIOS

HP PCs - Memory Test Fails with Error Code BIOME-1 or ME516

Also, refer to this HP Forums post asking you to replace the CMOS battery and check. 

Keep me posted.

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Good day   and thank you for your reply.

- no new hardware or software have been added

- i only experienced this problem DURING BIOS update from 80.02 Rev A to "hp recommended" A0.07

both are for the same Family SSID 2B35

- during BIOS update my PC went into "The System BIOS is being recovered" loop

it goes through entire process of recovery counting and verifying blocks, and finishes with "System BIOS recovery is complete" message. All sequences as per screenshots in your link:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-500-Desktop-PC-series/7477729/model/7519760/document...

Then it reboots with 8 beeps and Blue on Black Window stating BIOS recovery has accured (500)

Then PC goes into the same loop of BIOS recovery as described above in your link. Endless cycle.

I am not even sure which BIOS version it is trying to recover as this info is not shown on the screen as it was in "old days".

I have created 3in1 USB stick hoping to be able to use Esc to get to UEFI, but it does not work. I tried Windows B key combination, then F2, F10 - any combination simply keeps me at black screen. The moment i stop pressing any keys, PC beeps 8 times and goes into BIOS recovery has occured again.

When i use "BIOS update" USB with HP_Tool if i put downloaded Firmware 80.02 (the original) it say Validation Failed, or Cannot Read BIOS.

However, if i put the lates A0.07 rev into "current" and "new" folder of HP_Tools update, then BIOS recovery goes fine, without any stops, complaints, etc, but it is a constant loop, which never brings me to Windows.

what am i doing wrong? Once i see a Blue on Black screent with "BIOs recovery 500" message and "for additional information got to "http.www.hp.com" what do i need to do?

Power button LED blinks 8 times with 8 beeps
BIOS or CMOS problem (ROM)
Perform BIOS recovery with external media (USB/CD-ROM).
HP Recommended

Ths is wonderful 😞

Description:
This package provides an update to the HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS (ROM Family 2B35) for supported models running a supported operating system
Fix and enhancements:
- Improved security of UEFI code and variables. HP strongly recommends promptly transitioning to this updated BIOS version which supersedes all previous releases.

NOTE: Due to security changes, after this BIOS update is installed, previous versions cannot be reinstalled.

So, as per HP's site, the new BIOS is recommended for my PC running Windows10 64. However, my PC refuses to work with this firmware, which cannot be uninstalled / replaced with the original...

I wonder if my only option is to buy a new identical MB with 80.02 Ver A BIOS flash? Or wait for a newer BIOS release (if any to come ever)?

Will a new, but identical MB allow me to boot Windows on the original HDD?

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, recommend you to rollback the driver again by holding Win + B on startup. Please use a USB keyboard connected to the rear of the tower. 

Have only on the basic setup, that is keyboard, monitor, and power connected to the computer. 

If the issue persists. Disconnect all the devices, hold the power button for 30 seconds, remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard. 

Connect the power cord to the computer, press the power button without the CMOS battery. 

Disconnect the power cord, hold the power button again for 30 seconds.

Please the CMOS battery back in the computer. 

Connect the power and monitor and turn the computer ON and check. 

If the issue still persists, please contact our phone support for the service options for the computer. 

I would not be able to comment on when the next BIOS update will be released. 

Good Luck. 

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Much appreciate you trying to help.

I've done all troubleshooting steps that you provided. No luck. Every time it says BIOS recovery is complete, but then it starts recovery again.

When i hold Windows & B key for about 30 seconds or more, i get BIOS info confirming that vA0.07 09/29/2016 is installed, which is the one that i am trying to get rid off.

On the same screenit say "Press the ESC for startup Menu"

Guess what happens when i press the ESC... "BIOS recovery has being initiated..." again. Then "Recovery is complete".

It does NOT rollback to v80.02

What am i doing wrong? Is it because HP site says that "Due to security changes, after this BIOS update is installed, previous versions cannot be reinstalled."

Type:

BIOS

Version:

A0.07 Rev.A

Operating systems:

Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Release date:

Oct 5, 2016

File name:

sp77785.exe

(6.0 MB)

Description:

This package provides an update to the HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS (ROM Family 2B35) for supported models running a supported operating system

Fix and enhancements:

- Improved security of UEFI code and variables. HP strongly recommends promptly transitioning to this updated BIOS version which supersedes all previous releases.

NOTE: Due to security changes, after this BIOS update is installed, previous versions cannot be reinstalled.

About HP phone support: i used to work there many-many years ago supporting HP-UX PA-RISC servers. We did an excellent job supporting our customers!
These days, when i called for "out of warranty" service, i told them about the problem and all troubleshoting steps i have done. They offered a replacement DVD media for OS... Also, an agent said "We will be able to help". Then he asked me to do exactly what i already done 25 times... At the end of conversation he suggested that i hape two options: buy a new PC or send this one to HP for repair. I asked for a new MB at my expence - answer "we do not do that".
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, recommend you to reseat the CMOS battery as suggested and check. If the issue persists, please contact our phone support for the service options to have the motherboard replaced or flashed.

If you would like to order the motherboard, you can check on parts store website

Good Luck. 

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did pull out the battery, and i used the Jumper to CLR CMOS - same result.

HP website "part surfer" say that MB is not orderable part.

How can HP re flash the BIOS when HP website says that this BIOS firmware cannot be reversed to any previous Rev ?

I called HP support, they said "we do not send MBs to clients"

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for bringing this matter to HP Pavilion Team.

What really upsets me, that my PC was the best and newest out of 3 HP Desktops that i own. I did a number of BIOS updates on other PCs, which are older, but run the same OS. I used to update BIOS prior to upgrading the OS, etc. This is not something new to me. This last BIOS update was recommended by HP Product Support site, and the application did not warn me about any potential issues or incompability. Everything happened in the middle of BIOS update, when it started "BIOS recovery process", which just keeps going endlessly:

- Power ON

- Black Screen

- 8 beeps

- White Screen with HP Blue Logo on the left: "The System BIOS is being recoverred."

- Verifying new BIOS image (total blocks 2048)

- Recovery Complete

- Press "Continue Statup"

- PC reboots with 8 beeps and "Blue on Black Messgae Block": A sSystem BIOS Recovery has occured

Bios Recovery (500)

ENTER - Continue Startup

For more information, please visit http://www.hp.com/go/techcenter

- PC reboots, 8 beeps, back to " White Screen with HP Blue Logo on the left: "The System BIOS is being recoverred."

Below Information is the only other info that i can see on the screen if i keep the Windows + B keys for almost a minute during startup. The only option is to Press Qsc for startup, but instead of Startup Menu i get "BIOS recovery" cycle.

===============================

Processor Type: AMD FX(tm) 770 K Quad

Processor Speed: 3500MHz

L1/L2 Cache Size: 256KB / 4096KB

Memory Size: 8192 MB DDR3 / 1600 MHz

Channel A: XMM2 0 MB

Channel B: XMM4 8192 MB

BIOS Revision/Date: vA0.07 09/29/2016

================================

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.