Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 700-215
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I said goodnight to a vibrant splash screen. Sadly, in the morning I returned to the monitor displaying a stark black screen with a blue hard disk error message...  Hard disk error. Please run the disk test in system diagnostics. Hard disk 5 (3F5).

I have attempted to trouble shoot, as follows:

1. Attempted to follow the HP suggested steps, but, could not access the diagnostics, nor anything else on PC. Restarts only led to the same hard disk error message;
  2. Unplugged and re-plugged the Hard drive connections;
  3. Pulled the SATA Hard Drive and put into another PC, where it performed normally;
  4. Ran full hard disk diagnostics (six+ hours), while in other PC. All good;
  5. Ran virus scan on hard disk, while in other PC. No threats detected; and finally,
  6. Placed a different SATA Hard Drive into the HP Envy, same hard disk error message as before.

Prior to this sudden catastrophic failure, the system was operating normally. No error messages. No recent application changes. Using Kaspersky Total Security, I monitor network activity and run quick virus scans daily (no detected threats). 

I would appreciate any suggestions for next steps.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Grzwacz,

Ultimately, I took the PC to a local tech who pulled the SSD cache. The system booted with no problems. Although he suggested replacing the cache drive, I decided to test the system's performance without. The PC passed all system tests and seems to be performing well.

Again, I greatly appreciate your help. Thank you for jumping in and guiding me through this. 

Regards, wex

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

I would reset CMOS by pulling the CR2032 MB battery to see if this helps.

Let the PS sit for a while. Reinstall or replace the MB battery.

See if you can load Windows or run HP Diagnostics now.

The drive works in a different PC so it looks like you have a MB problem on this PC. The BIOS can't detect the HDD.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you for your welcome and helpful suggestion. I appreciate your thoughtful analysis and look forward to trying this. 

Regards, wex

HP Recommended

Hi Wexplore7,

You're very welcome.

I was working with someone else on a 700-215xt with a similar problem (Link).

You can't troubleshoot because the PC displays video but the PC is unresponsive. Can't get to the HP EFI Startup Menu or the BIOS.

I suggested having a local PC tech check this out. You need to check each component and may need known good replacement parts. This can get expensive.

You could try a bare bones system startup by disconnecting: USB drives, internal SATA devices, trying one stick of RAM in each memory slot (repeat this process using each stick of RAM installed in the PC), remove or add a discrete graphics card if applicable (then try alternative graphics option), and only connect a monitor to the PC.

Do this by removing/replacing, as needed, one internal component at a time to see if the system will POST.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi Grzwacz,

Thank you for the additional information and the link. I will update when I have a resolution.

In the interim, thank you again for reaching out. Your response has reduced my frustration exponentially.

Regards, wex

HP Recommended

Hi Grzwacz,

Ultimately, I took the PC to a local tech who pulled the SSD cache. The system booted with no problems. Although he suggested replacing the cache drive, I decided to test the system's performance without. The PC passed all system tests and seems to be performing well.

Again, I greatly appreciate your help. Thank you for jumping in and guiding me through this. 

Regards, wex

HP Recommended

Hi Wex,

I missed the cache drive component when looking at your PC's specs.

Think about replacing the HDD with a fast 2.5 inch SSD down the road.

You don't need the cache drive if you install a fast SATA SSD.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.