Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 570-p094
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I install a new 5 port 3.0 USB expansion card into my lonly PCIe 1x slot and attempt to enter the BIOS at boot time the system will not boot.  What I get it the normal black screen, followed by the display of the BIOS start screen for about 1 second then blackscreen and it will cycle through this forever.  If I remove the expansion card and attempt to go into the BIOS at boot it enters just fine.  Note that the operation and use of the computer and the expansion card is just fine when I do not attempt to enter the BIOS at boot time.  Really puzzleing.   

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@ralph9634,

Welcome to HP Support Community,

Let's try these steps here: 

Step 1. Remove the card from the computer.

Step 2. Update the Bios on your PC. For more details on how to update the Bios - HP Desktop PCs - Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System)

Note, please go through the Product specifcation and then click on Motherboard specification.

Here in the Motherboard specification, please look for Motherboard description and under here you have the SSID, please make a note of the SSID.

Now, Click here (Please enter the Product number and then select the correct Operating system and version of Windows).

On the Software and Driver download page, scroll down to Bios section and then check the SSID and then download and install the latest Bios update for your PC.

Once done, restart the computer. 

Step 3. Let's do the Bios defaults -

To reset the boot order to the default settings, follow the steps below.

1. Turn on or restart the computer.

2. While the display is blank, press the f10 key to enter the BIOS settings menu.

3. In the BIOS Setup utility, select the File tab.

4. Select Apply Defaults and Exit.

The BIOS setup utility closes and the computer boots into Windows.

Once done, go ahead and Install the card and then restart the computer and check if that works.

Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have done this already and it did not resolve issue. 

System Info:

Motherboard is HP 82FE  11, 

Chipset is AMD  K15 IMC rev 00, 

Southbridge is B350  rev 11,

The current BIOS is  AMD  Version F.26 - AMD AGESA StoneyPI  V1.3.0.6  dated aa/23/2018.   

This was downloaded and flashed successfully.  My system operates with no issues other than my original issue..  

HP Recommended

@ralph9634,

This looks like a possible hardware failure, I would personally suggest you contact our HP support team for further assistance.

HP support can be reached on www.hp.com/contacthp

Select the product type.

Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

Select the country from the drop-down.

You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

the system is out of warrenty.  I have been in touch with the HP smartfriends team and they say it is not a HW issue with the computer.  Since the add-in adapter card works perfectly, I assume (not necessarily the best thing to do) there is nothing wrong with the adapter card.  System passes all hardware diags with and without the adapter card installed..

Next?????????

HP Recommended

@ralph9634,

Have you tried installing this card on another device and check if that works. 

If this does not work, then this could be an issue with the card itself. 

Let me know the outcome!

Thank you 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I do not have another system to use.  Since you are an HP support tech, can you request the HP test / compatibility lab to test this with a simalar MB/Bios or maybe the same computer system (HP Pavilion 570-p094)  and a generic 2 port USB adapter card and see if it works in their lab.  Yes, I know it is not a sure test since we are not using the explicit card in question but it may reveal something.

HP Recommended

@ralph9634,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.