Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Elite 8300 Ultra-Slim Desktop

Hello! I had a PC that suddenly stopped working. I have tried re-seating the ram and CPU, but when I try and turn the computer on I don't get a POST. Fans spin slowly, then after a minute they ramp up and stay that way forever. Ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MNl-_uNOWM&t=11s

This may help.  

Fan ramping up is common with bios issues.

HP Recommended

The problem is nothing is blinking! There is an internal LED (CR1?) that turns on and stays green once power is connected, and then the normal power LED that stays on after power on.

That's why I'm not sure how else to proceed.

Also just wanted to clarify this is a desktop

HP Recommended

I understand it's a desktop, videos are just for reference ideas as it's not always possible to get exact match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpiGUojtr3E&t=2s

This video shows how to try to recover bios, again I know it's a desktop but the idea could work.

Fan spinning up means it's stuck before bios.  Did you try disconnecting the dvd or hard disk along with the ram? Is it onboard graphics or a card?

HP Recommended

The Windows Key + B didn't seem to do anything unfortunately no matter what combination I tried (pressing power, holding power for 1/2/3 seconds, etc.). Guess my PC doesn't support that feature. 

I when I disconnect everything including ram, I get the 3 beeps of "no ram". Putting ram back in (and leaving out the dvd + hard disk) just leads to the same behaviour. 

I just have onboard graphics on this PC.

HP Recommended

Can you borrow a graphic card to test?

HP Recommended

So I was able to find the correct bios utility, but it doesn't seem to "auto" create a recoverable USB. I put the files in the "DOS Flash" directory onto a Fat32 USB, however even with Windows Key + B it can't get it to do anything. It will 'sometimes' boot up and do 8 beeps (and red LEDs), but then just hangs there. Also other times it will power itself down, and back up again, but the whole time it won't read off the USB (I have a USB that flashes when it is being accessed).

There are no PCI-E ports on this computer, just a PCI-E x1 for a wifi and a MXM 'slot'.

I can get it to display something sometimes if I swap out the RAM configuration and get the 164-Memory Size Error, but then when I try and enter either the Startup Menu or "MEBX setup menu" it just hangs (see attached photo)

IMG_1217.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.