Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
dc5800 compaq microtower
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

i am led to believe that i require a microcode i have upgraded to latest bios v1.06 was going to try with rufus, in fact have tried however when asked on command promp what to type i become lost, no idea, simple step by step would be most appreciated, hope   thankyou in advance   do i have to have the new cpu in the pc before i update the microcode. the pc is running 32 bit windows 7 ultimate at  present, i hope to upgrade to 64bit when Q9650 is accepted.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Glad you got the Q9650 to work, but unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions for lowering the fan speed.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the dc5800 Quickspecs.

http://www.nordykassociates.com/pdf/dc5800%20QuickSpecs.pdf

The maximum supported processor is the Q9300.

HP Recommended

thankyou for your reply  however i have read all of your anwers  from the past regarding the dc5800, i was led to believe the Q9650 is compatible, i hope i checked the specs correctly

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You would have to show me the same documentation I posted that shows that to be the case.

Even the dc7800 doesn't support the Q9650, so I don't know how I could have possibly made that statement and if I did, then it is incorrect.

http://www.nordykassociates.com/pdf/dc7800%20QuickSpecs.pdf

HP Recommended

this member states he has used the 9650 Quad, and upgraded the microcode, but looking at the dates, it may not be confirmed by you,       TURBO212on 08-29-2016 06:03 pm, used   sp51245,  is this possible, if so i respect your opinion, your previous help of others has greatly helped me in the past

HP Recommended

Hi:

I can only go by what the specs indicate...max is Q9300.

In any event, you must be referring to this post...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktops-Archive-Read-Only/Upgrading-dc5800-Workstation-need-help/m-p/...

If you want to update the microcode, you need to download the microcode update on the support page...sp51245

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp51001-51500/sp51245.exe

Make a bootable USB flash drive.  I take it you used Rufus to create a bootable flash drive, correct?

If so, copy the microcode update files in the DOS flash folder to your USB flash drive.  Just the files, not the folder.

Boot from the flash drive and when you get to the command prompt, type flashbin.exe and press the enter key.

The PC should then load the microcode update files and prompt you to update the microcode.

Should the new processor need to be installed before or after updating the microcode?

That is a good question because sometimes a new processor works fine when the microcode update is applied prior to installation, and sometimes you have to install the new processor and then update the microcode.

It appears in the situation in that discussion, the person updated the Microcode after he installed the Q9650.

But I am glad to see that I was not the one who indicated the Q9650 was supported, because I have a dc7800 and know what it can handle according to the specs.

If the Q9650 works, great!

HP Recommended

use only the newest Intel stepping DIE< M1

end.

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

thankyou for your promt reply,  i will apply your suggestions shortly and let you know how  effective it responds, if there are problems will utilize a  E8400 cpu,, mine is a E7200,    the E8400 appears to be better equipped than the quads

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you have any issues making the bootable USB, see my first reply at the link below for how to make a bootable USB flash drive with the DOS command files, and the microcode update files.

The dc7800 uses the same Microcode update as the dc5800.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/dc7800-BIOS-amp-MicroCode-Updat...

HP Recommended

hi after some frustration and fumbling and some luck i have got   the Q9650 to work, i have not installed the 64bit O.S. yet but hope to shortly, thankyou for your input and sugesstions, i used  rufus to create the usb bootable  drive in freedos, plus the downloads you kindly forwarded.  the pc is showing the cpu in the system specs. I have a problem which i believe others have also encountered, the fan is rather noisy.  any suggestions would be appreciated. maybe in the bios in   THERMAL, not tried it yet, but i think i can only take it down one more setting, its working on 32bit windows 7 ultimate,   but maybe it will quiet down in 64bit win. 7 ultimate. be a pleasure to hear from you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.