Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Slimline 290-p0056
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

CT1000MX500SSD4 - Crucial MX500 M.2 2280 1TB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) 

HP - Compaq HP Slimline 290-p0056

BIOS Revision 843F vF.31

BIOS Date 05/27/2019

The BIOS won't recognize this M.2 SSD drive. 

I've tried the following.

1. Removed it and put it back in securely - it's inserted correctly

2. Unhooked the existing SATA Hard Drive and DVD Drive - this M.2 SSD is the only SATA device hooked up in the system now.

The BIOS settings are very sparse and I can't find a way to get additional BIOS settings. The only BIOS option available to me that seems remotely relevant is Slot Security and all the M.2 slots are enabled.

I think I need to tweak some hidden BIOS settings to get this M.2 SSD drive recognized by the BIOS. How can I get access to more BIOS settings than what is available with F10?  There is barely anything available to me in the BIOS options.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I would ask the person in that discussion what BIOS setting he changed to enable the M.2 slot.

There must be one somewhere, since he had the exact same issue with the exact same motherboard in the same model series.

The model he has will have the exact same BIOS as yours.

Also there is support for the NVMe drives on that motherboard, as I had referenced in the other discussion.

There isn't any additional information than what is listed on the support page's user guides section.

In any event, I have provided all the help that I can.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi:

See this related discussion...same model series, same motherboard as yours.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/about-identification-the-type-o...

You may have installed the wrong type SSD.  Should be NVMe

Apparently there is a BIOS setting to enable the M.2 slot.

You can try enabling that M.2 setting first and see if it recognizes the SATA SSD.

If not, you will need to install a NVMe SSD which provides better performance anyway.

HP Recommended

The BIOS available are very limited. Nothing to enable the M.2 slot besides what I mentioned in the original post.

The crucial website indicates the SSD I purchased (CT1000MX500SSD4) will work on the 290-p0056.

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/hp-slimline-290-p0056#SSDFilters

There is nothing in the Menlo motherboard specification that mentions NVMe. 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05991290

It just says the following:

One M.2 socket 3, 2280 type for SSD

Are there any HP documents that go into more detail than this? I've been googling it and the HP documentation is pretty sparse. They do a terrible job at this.

HP Recommended

I would ask the person in that discussion what BIOS setting he changed to enable the M.2 slot.

There must be one somewhere, since he had the exact same issue with the exact same motherboard in the same model series.

The model he has will have the exact same BIOS as yours.

Also there is support for the NVMe drives on that motherboard, as I had referenced in the other discussion.

There isn't any additional information than what is listed on the support page's user guides section.

In any event, I have provided all the help that I can.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help.  The person in the discussion you referenced couldn't get the SATA one to work but that person did get the NVMe one to work. So I'm going to try an NVMe M.2 SSD. 

I'm going to return the SSD to Newegg and show them the Crucial website with the incorrect information as my excuse to get a refund.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I suggest you ask the person what BIOS setting he changed to get the NVMe drive to work.

It may well be that either type drive will work as long as the M.2 slot is enabled.

His post was...PC doesn't see the M.2 SATA SSD, and even when he installed the NVMe one, it didn't work until he found some BIOS setting which enabled it.

The only reason I assumed the SATA M.2 drive didn't work was because that other model which has the same motherboard, HP installed a NVMe drive.

I'm sure that with a combination of the NVMe SSD and finding this mysterious BIOS setting, you will be good to go.

HP Recommended

I replied to the other thread asking Pranav16 what BIOS setting he changed. I'll update this thread with the answer if I get one.

HP Recommended

OK, great.

I did see your post on the other discussion.

If there is a slot security setting, then I would hope the default setting is enabled for all slots.

HP Recommended

Yes, it was enabled for all slots.

HP Recommended

We'll just have to hope you get an answer, and that there is some other setting that needs to be changed.

How about in the storage/boot options settings? 

Is there something there that could be the problem?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.