Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
P5BW-LA Motherboard
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Will a Core 2 Quad Q9400 work with motherboard P5BW-LA?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That would be great.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the processor upgrade info for your PC's motherboard.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00748726

It does not support any quad core processors.

HP Recommended

Ty for the quick answer 😀. What would be a good CPU upgrade for it to not bottleneck a gtx 750. I currently have a core 2 duo E6400.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You really can't do a whole lot better than what you have now, although there will be some improvement.

The best processor you can upgrade to from the Conroe E6400, would be the Conroe E6700.

Make sure you don't get the Wolfdale E6700.  That one won't work.

Here is a comparison chart of the two processors...

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=27251,27249

The memory is bottlenecking your processor's performance.

Make sure you have DDR2-6400 memory installed to give you the best performance.

Even with 800 MHz memory, the 1066 MHz processor can't run the memory any faster than 800 MHz.

HP Recommended

Thank you again for the help. I can find that CPU on eBay for $15 bucks and I understand the difference. the wolfdale cpu is Intel Pentium E6700 and the Conroe cpu is intel Core 2 duo E6700. I made sure it says that on the image of the cpu and the description on the post. Also, my memory in task manager says that it runs at 667 MHz and i use a program called cpuz, and it gives a more detailed description, it says "Max bandwidth: PC2-5300 (333 MHz)." < what does that mean? and is my ram 333MHz or 667 MHz?

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad you were able to get the processor for a bargain price.

So, the next thing you want to do is to upgrade the memory.

The memory upgrade specs on that link I posted yesterday indicate you can install 4 x 2 GB of memory in there.

So, max out the memory with DDR2-6400 memory so it runs at 800 MHz, instead of 667 MHz.

You have to multiply the report you get by two.    333 x 2 = 667 MHz.

When you have all DDR2-6400 memory in there, the report will read 400 MHz, which x 2 = 800 MHz.

This memory should work just fine in your PC.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-4gb-240-pin-ddr2-sdram/p/N82E16820231207?Item=N82E16820231207

HP Recommended

I am using all 4 DIMM slots in my PC with each of 1GB ram so 333x4= does not equal 667. I just want to know how this calculation works, because I am intrigued my the complexity of motherboards and PC's. Also, since i'm using all four DIMM's, the specs say "supports 8gb ram max", so can i use 2x4gb PC2-6400 800MHz ram? The internet says 8gb is a sweet spot for gaming. Thanks

HP Recommended

Each memory chip is running in dual channel mode since you have installed 4 x 1 GB in matching capacity.

That is 667 MHz per channel.  Your PC has two banks of two channels.

It is not cumulative.

You cannot use 2 x 4 GB of memory, because the slot maximum is 2 GB.

Not to mention that 2 x 4 GB of DDR2-6400 would cost you around $150 to $200 for memory that would not work in your PC.

As I wrote earlier...get 4 x 2 GB of PC2-6400 memory for best performance.

HP Recommended

OMG lol, im so sorry for that, this whole time i meant to say 4x2gb Pc2-6400, im so sorry. The reason i asked that is because the link you sent was 2x2gb and i was wondering if i could use 4x2gb. I found this listing on craigslist:https://orlando.craigslist.org/sop/d/gainesville-memory-modules-pc-ddr2-800/7203819477.html

I would get the that says Pc2-6400 in the matched pairs section, and it says lot pair of 2(4 modules) option, right? Because that makes a total of 8GB.

HP Recommended

No problem.

Just so you know that 4 GB chips won't work.

I don't know what to tell you regarding the listing.

I suppose you can go for the matched pairs of PC2-6400 memory and hope it works...It would be a fifth of what the memory I know will work costs.

And the less money you can put into such an old PC, the better.

PC2-6400 DDR2-800 2Gb $10 pair, Lot of 2 pair (4 modules) $18

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.