Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion TP01-1137c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Pavilion Desktop model TP01-1137c (motherboard 8767 Baker) with a AMD Radeon RX 550 4GB and a 310w Power Supply.

I would like to upgrade the Graphics Card which would likely mean upgrading the Power Supply Unit.

Is it possible to upgrade either or both of these? 

Thx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Again, thx for the response.

I have the basic knowledge but I haven't done this kind of upgrade since the '90s; obviously tech has changed since then. So I came here looking for what I thought was basic information for clarity before diving in but then got locked into this echo chamber of vagueness and non-answers. ['Go look at this chart,' which did not have the info. 'Go read this thread,' which did not have the info.] I'm not saying the answer isn't somewhere on these forums but actually searching for and finding it isn't easy. Yes, I've looked elsewhere but (just like on these forums) searching in such a way, using the right terms etc; it's like the old needle in a haystack. But eventually, using numerous sites, I pieced together the answers.

So, for the sake of the next newb dumb schmuck that makes the mistake of coming to this board looking for the same information that I was in search of ... I will now answer my own questions (or simplify/clarify long winded non-specific answers from others).

Can the PSU be upgraded? - YES - 

The L05757-800 (500w) looks to be the best options but there are others that will do the job with the connectors that are needed for the Baker board (the chart provided by Erico does NOT put the L05757 & Baker together). The "proprietary pin" issue is a non-answer; what that really means is you can't just go buy an aftermarket ATX PSU or something, you need a genuine HP product with the correct connections. L05757-800 is a HP product that has the needed pins; it can be found in the HP Parts Store.

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=0BBF892D6E0A449596490127D45CDAF8&SearchIn=P...

But what about the 7-pin?

The 7-pin provides power/control from the MB back to the PSUs fan. The 3 wires vs 6 wires is not an issue; this has been verified on earlier boards similar to Baker (though perhaps not specifically tested on Baker). Are you still taking a 'risk'? Of course, but that's kinda the case in most upgrades like this. Here's one example of a guy that made the upgrade, mentions the 3 vs 6 wires, and had success for the life of the system until he moved on to a new system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUjO2_HPlew&list=LL&index=2&ab_channel=AlexM

Upgrading the Graphics Card

Yes, this system can take an upgrade but you'll be seriously limited to the 310w PSU and/or the 75w max power coming through the PCIe slot. This is why one needs to go through the PSU upgrade first if you want to upgrade to a better Graphics Card.

So with that, my intent is to install the L05757-800 500w PSU. Once that is in and verified to be working, I'll then move on to finding an appropriate Graphics Card.

I'll make every effort to come back and report how it all goes but it'll probably be a while.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Take a look at the  Power supply cross reference chart that @wb2001 created. 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Knowledge-Base/Power-Supply-Cross-Reference-for-specific-model...

Another member had the same desktop that you have a purchased a 500W unit and went on his merry upgrade path. I would not have taken the route he did. It is pretty risky to use an adapter at PSU connections.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Upgrade-TP01-1100ng/td-p/779827...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Has to fit and not hit thiings inside, (12 makers and 3 fan cards ) and not overload the PSU or overheat the case.

elaboration.

Pavilion Desktop model TP01-1137c

well you'd need a new PSU if going to a 250+W GPU card  310w  is useless.

only using a ruler answers fit on any of 1000s of 12 makers of GPU, some are 3 fans long,  the makers all tell you the size

but HP nor any OEM tells space in the x16 slot, nobody does but I always do, see? with a simple ruler.

as usuall no HP spec on their PSU. (just weak line 310w) again I LOOK.

PC is too new to find any in google or Hp parts surfer.

finding a PSU that fits that PC and not violate , any HP (non ATX) specs will fail. for sure if PSU HP has BIOS fan controls

I cannot know that, lacking a real spec by HP,

your 550 is only a 50watt card , super low power,  that means it has no GPU AUX power cables then that makes me look for them inside the PC to see if there and tied off as SOME PCs but HP never tells this in there weak manuals.

Those  2 POWER cables from PSU to high powered GPU,. only looking for the 6/8 pin dual cables works for me, I look for sure on anything OEM and non ATX spec. PCs.

the answer is you need a new PSU but I see none for sale.

You need a new PSU

if not willing to do that or HP makes this impossible as  some are.

then a GTX1650 card, 1 fan, and the port you want DP? and not the "SUPER" version of card will work.

75watt card the 100watt SUPER needs AUX POWER CABLES you do or do not have,  I can not see inside your PC.

and HP fails to show all cables in the PC in there books , in fact the service manuals love to leave off PSU swap outs.

amazing as that is.

this question is asks here 10,000 times and the answer is same.

look and see what you have now.

space and cables.

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

the problem is crossing the X16 slot power LIMIT barrier. (and length limits too)

75watts (gtx1650 non super or GTX1000 works. (had are devoid of 6/8 power jacks on card !

you need 6 /8pin dual cables, (like real ATX spec PSU have) HP not.

the pair are from the PSU on all NON OEM PC but found on all real PCs with ATX PSU

on HP and other OEM< some have this, I cant see yours but here is what to look for:

1: PSU lacks those GPU cables. at all, HP loves to do that.

2 : but wait some oEMs put those 2 cables on the MOBO, called GPU PWR ports to the cable and to the GPU CARD.

that is what any shop in town or me would do , I LOOK first but knowing what to look for takes skills. (and ALL PC experiences)

I think there is no PSU that fits the PC.(other than the stock 310w)

bottom line, it is what it is and is NOT SPEC'd.  (just simple terms and no real service manuals)

I can not find one photo of the MOBO or the PSU, even googling www.

it's just too new. and the 50language service manual is HORRID and near useless,  some trend no?

HP Recommended

"Baker Mainboard (SSID: 8767) has proprietary connections P1 4 Pin Power, P2 7 Pin PWRCMD and P3 PWR CPU."

no 24pin?

P2 7pin that is HP custom features, not optional. I bet, but HP does not spec their PSU. not even pinouts and named pins. (like fan controls and that fact HP PSU runs  highvoltage  Stand by power not 5v but 12v)

and missing here.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Knowledge-Base/Power-Supply-Cross-Reference-for-specific-model...

TP01-11xx  (not in the list)

others say this works but are slightly different PCs,

500W L05757-800

HP Recommended

Thank you for your detailed responses.

So I opened her up and here’s what I’ve found.

- Verified the 310w PSU

-PSU is using two 4pins going to P1 & P3; and a 7pin (but only 3 wires) going to P2

-PSU has an available 6pin (labeled as P4) with a 2pin attached

-GPU (made by HP) is about 167mm including the fan that extends beyond the card

-Looks like I have about 228-241mm (depending on whether the P1 is in the way) total space to fit a GPU

GPUs w/o upgrading PSU

-GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6 75w 229mm - appears to be my best bet but I would rather upgrade to a more powerful GPU as this just barely meets the minimum specs required for VR.

-GeForce GTX 1650 GDDR5 75w 229mm (lower benchmarks than the GDDR6)

Possible PSUs

-L05757-800 500w (can’t find a pic, so I’m unsure)

-L04618-800 400w (looks usable but has 6 wires on P2. Is that an issue?)

At this point, I would prefer to upgrade the PSU if that is possible so that I can get to a higher end GPU.

20201206_120425.jpg20201206_151702.jpg

My quest continues.

Hope to hear back from you.

Thx again.

HP Recommended

@Morgavo 

Be careful who you pay attention to.

Some members "seem" like they give detailed and helpful answers, but upon close inspection there are lots of verbiage, but there isn't much value added. 

It would have been nice if you had provided images of the connection headers on the mother board. HP used to provide those and it made life simpler for upgrader, but that is not the case any longer.

If you read what the German upgrader did you will see that he stated he was successful, but the method he used with power header adapters was sketchy and is not recommended.  

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

The P1 & P3 use standard square 4pin connectors from the PSU which click into the tan connectors on the Baker board. I don't see anything special about these.

Also, here's a shot of P2 7pin. The question I asked about the 7pin on the L04618-800 400w PSU that has 6 wires - It seems like there would be an issue plugging the 7pin w/ 6 wires into the Baker board where there is currently only 3 wires. Perhaps an adapter to block off the other 3 wires?

Last question (for now) - The 310w PSU currently has an available 6+2 pin set. Am I correct that this is PCIe power that could be used for a GPU? If so, could I in theory get to a better upgraded GPU (say 100-120w) and not be limited to a 75w card pulling power through the PCIe slot. Of course I would still be limited to the 310w overall.

In my testing it looks like I have a good 50w to spare (and I will likely disable the DVD-W to gain a few more). Do you have a recommendation on a utility app that can better test actually wattage being used? I'm currently using HWinfo.

Anyway, I'm still just assessing possibilities vs reality vs costs.

I appreciate the feedback.

20201207_135353 (2).jpg

20201207_135651 (2).jpg

20201207_135534 (2).jpg

HP Recommended

So I don't know what's up with the pics. I hope they're posting but I can't see them. This forum seems a bit finicky about the pics. 

HP Recommended

@Morgavo wrote:

So I don't know what's up with the pics. I hope they're posting but I can't see them. This forum seems a bit finicky about the pics. 

Images have been known to carry the code for virus payloads. That is why the forum requires inspection of the images before they are approved and posted. It is a precaution.

The question you had about the L04618-800 400W PSU was discussed by HP Expert @wb2001  in the thread at the hyperlink below.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Question-about-the-L04618-800-4...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.