Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Might you have the current link to the 1.61 Bios update, @Paul_Tikkanen ?

HP Recommended

The HP site makes this more complex than necessary, but this should work:

1) Sign in to the HP support site (probably using the same sign-in you did to post your question).

2) Go to the first support center page at:  http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/

3) enter the model number of your computer (in my case it was " dc 7600 cmt ")

4) pick your exact model from the list that appears on the next page that appears

5) The next page should come up on a DOWNLOADS tab... just below the word DOWNLOADS, click on the link that says " Get Drivers, Software and Firmware"

6) You will have to select your computer model again from the list that appears (I don't know why)

7) On the next page you select your operating system (in my case Windows XP professional)

😎 Finally, a list of everything available should appear. Scroll down it and look for BIOS on the list of downloads, click the + to open the BIOS section and you should see the 1.61 download there.

REMEMBER: You can only upgrade your BIOS this way if you are using XP Professional or lower. If you try to do a direct flash BIOS upgrade this way using Windows 7 or 8  it will NOT work and you will ruin your computer permanently. Seriously. If using Windows 7 or 8, go to page 8 of this dicussion and read the long post that explains how to do it with Win 7 or 8.

HP Recommended

Running XP Professional SP3 on my DC7600 mini tower... I flashed my BIOS to ver. 1.61 then put in the Pentium D 945 CPU and everything works perfectly.  Very nice. Pulled the old 1 Gig of memory and put in 4 matching 1 Gig sticks. The BIOS recognizes all 4 Gigs and tests them as fine. But under XP professional I am only showing 3.24 Gigs. I know about that limit with 32-bit, but since the Pentium D 945 does 64 bit, I thought that I would be able to use all 4 Gigs now.

Was I just dreaming about that? I can live with 3.24 Gigs, but a full 4 would be nice.

If I need to check my microcode version regarding this issue, please explain how to do that as I have never done it before. I was under the impression that the BIOS upgrade package would also upgrade my microcode, but maybe not?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hello

I have the same situation, the same XP, the same processor....

Windows XP sees only 3.24 GB, because the limit for 32-bit version of Windows is 4 GB, but the reported RAM size will be in range 2.75 -to 3.5 GB depending on the devices installed, motherboard's chipset & BIOS...

HP Recommended

@J_R_S wrote:

Running XP Professional SP3 on my DC7600 mini tower... I flashed my BIOS to ver. 1.61 then put in the Pentium D 945 CPU and everything works perfectly.  Very nice. Pulled the old 1 Gig of memory and put in 4 matching 1 Gig sticks. The BIOS recognizes all 4 Gigs and tests them as fine. But under XP professional I am only showing 3.24 Gigs. I know about that limit with 32-bit, but since the Pentium D 945 does 64 bit, I thought that I would be able to use all 4 Gigs now.

Was I just dreaming about that? I can live with 3.24 Gigs, but a full 4 would be nice.

If I need to check my microcode version regarding this issue, please explain how to do that as I have never done it before. I was under the impression that the BIOS upgrade package would also upgrade my microcode, but maybe not?

Thanks!

For the PC to be able to recognize and utilize all of the installed memory, both the CPU and operating system are part t the equation. Not only does the CPU have to be 64-bit capable, the operating system must also be a 64-bit version. The BIOS does not  always upgrade the microcode.

The latest microcode update supplied by HP is at the following URL.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=1111121&swItemId=PSG_I23753_109013&swEnvO...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I have dc7600c P4 630/ OS Win7 64 /AF843AW#ACB/bios v2.04 .I want to ask can I upgrade the P4-630 at intel core duo E6700?"I have still Pentium D-925. with original BIOS v1  I put the Pentium D-925 but it came to the screen legend that you need to update the firmware. what is needed to upgrade the P4-630 at intel core duo E6700, or Pentium D-925 

HP Recommended

The most recent firmware, which is BIOS, is version 1.61 Rev. A  dated 8 Jul 2009.

It adds support for Intel Pentium 4 631, 641, 651, 661 and Intel Pentium D 930, 940, 950 Processors

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=472278&swItemId=ir_73174_2&swEnvOid=1098#...

The intel core duo E6700 has no BIOS support. There is no BIOS update available that adds support for the CPU. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

if I set the BIOS the processor Pentium D-925will work?BIOS 1.03 on he asked to update the microcode.  I updated the BIOS to version 2.04 of Win7 64. I found how to make a bootable DOS flash on the forums using sp27608. if I copy files to a bootable flash BIOS version 1.61 and update the BIOS, will work correctly Pentium D-925 ? on the computer dc7700c I removed the Pentium D and set E6700,  and I want to put Pentium D -925  in the computer DC7600

HP Recommended

sp27608 is just for making the USB flash drive bootable. You don't need to do that. Just put the extracted BIOS ROM file at the root of a formatted USB flash drive.

NO.

The  Pentium D -925 is not supported, so it is unlikely to work.  You already know from your experience that the Core duo E7600 will not work.

HP will not be providing any more BIOS updates for the dc7600.  The last updated was in 2008.

HP Recommended

sorry for my English. E6700 works fine for DC7700. I'm interested  Pentium D-925  in dc7600.in the factory BIOS, when you install the D-925, asked to update the stepping code. when you press F1, the OS up and running, but if you turn off and back on again required to update the microcode. When you press F1 to start up the system Win7  worked

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.