Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

I also am having the same issue, and it is very annoying that the "secondary" function of the F keys works in this manner. Also, the idea that the ActionKey feature can't be disabled on certain keyboards seems premature. I would like to know if there is a way to disable ActionKeys through the registry?

HP Recommended

@JM46
Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

To disable, or enable, the function key (fn) in the BIOS, do the following steps. ( Microsoft recommend ) 

1. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
  2. Press the f10 key to open the BIOS setup window. (On newer computers, you need to hold down the "esc" key. Then you can opt to go into the BIOS settings.)
  3. Use the right-arrow or left-arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration option.

4. Use the up-arrow or down-arrow keys to navigate to the Action Keys Mode option, and then press the "enter" key to display the Enable / Disable menu.
  5. Select the desired mode. Also, you can refer to this Article from Microsoft 

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner, Thank you for posting in the HP Support Community.  Have a great day!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Do you support folks see the "No BIOS option? in the OP?

Why would something as simple as a keyboard, unchanged since the Flinstones era, NOT have the fn lock functionality?  You had to go out of your way to re-engineer the simple thing instead of leaving it as it has been.  What next? Disable the right-click function from the mouse?  you make me crazy!!!

HP Recommended

@tqmbill
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824(Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).
  • What is the operating system?
  • When was the last time it worked fine?
  • Have you checked with an alternate keyboard?

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had the same issue but on an Envy AIO computer.

I bought a cheap keyboard from Amazon with dedicated function keys.  Problem solved (no thanks to HP)

HP Recommended

If you want to use that keyboard, then what id do is look for a keyboard remapper.

What a remapper does is replace one key entry for another. so you can make any key act as another key.

so the functional keys can be mapped to Fn keys

there are quite a few out there, and some keyboard manufacturers even have their own that come with their keyboards or can be downloaded.

Here is a good article on cnet that reviews a few keyboard remapping programs. 

keyboard remappers

**{{ When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro! ]]**
HP Recommended

"Funciton key options aren't available with this keyboard" is your answer?  Are you kidding me? [edit]

As I stated earlier, I tried and tried and tried and ended up buying a cheap o keyboard from Amazon.  It may not look as pretty as the one that came with my computer, but at least I can have the function keys as default (in fairness, it has dedicated function keys.)

The fact that you don't offer this simple functionality on your high end (at least mine is) computers is really a huge miss and one I would think even a [edit] company like yours could fix with a code change.  I guess I'm wrong.

I've owned several HP computers over the years.  This will be my last.

HP Recommended

Markpeter873, please read the title of the problem statement and tell me how your option #3 is helpful.

HP Recommended

They have canned responses that may or may not match the request. I've had problems with the BIOS on my desktop and keep getting notebook instructions. 

Not having a function lock key is completely idiotic.  If removing the dedicated key saves pennies (or fractions of pennies) why not use keys keys in combination (like function escape on Lenovos)

HP Recommended

If you're going to post useless help,  at least learn the difference between,  "your" and "you're."

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.