Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JM46
2 2 0 1
Message 21 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

FN key lock on new Pavillion Desktop - No BIOS option

Yes, I realized shortly after I posted, that my question was kinda stupid. I researched HP keyboards, and it seems that modern keyboards handle key input differently than I expected, and that it is to some extent controlled outside the computer (in the keyboard itself), I suppose for performance reasons. (Probably why there is no BIOS option.) Thus, if one wants different functionality from a keyboard it must be done through remapping software. 

I would complain about the lack of common sense in making an atypical functionality the default for a keyboard whose functions can only be altered through remapping, but I have read enough posts here to know that those complaints will fall on deaf ears. I have since swapped my keyboard out for my mid-90's keyboard that I had as a teenager, and though clunky, it works as a keyboard should. Problem solved.

Thanks to Scoobis; I'd mark his response as the answer, but I don't see the option to do so---and, if it is the answer, it seems to be not much of an answer for someone who likes everything about their new keyboard except for the way it works.

Jatz
2 2 0 0
Message 22 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have same issue in my HP Pavillion Desktop 590-p0xxx with same layout keyboard. The only solution I have is to buy another keyboard which has standard keys.

The HP creators of this modern keyboard is not using their heads. I am AutoCAD user I use all F keys from F1 to F12 all the time. It is very annoying that you need to press fn and then F3 or F8. 

HP, if you want sales from AutoCAD users go back to standard keyboard. 

0 Kudos
marek_mikus
3 3 0 0
Message 23 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is unbelievable behaviour, HP loses an credit after this.

0 Kudos
TheGreenNinja
2 2 0 0
Message 24 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This worked for me ! didn't even realize there is a "fn lock" marked on that left Shift key. Thanks for the tip! 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation