Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p6-2387ea Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I currently have an HP Pavilion p6-2387ea Desktop PC which is using a pretty poor graphics card compared to the rest of the PC so I would like to upgrade it. I installed a new card but had no video. I looked online and found that HP motherboards tend to be locked.

I am just wondering:

1. is my motherboard locked

2. Is there a way to unlock it or do I need to buy a new one

Thanks

AshTheDinosaur

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I believe your question is not worded exactly correct.  But on to the answer.  That motherboard is listed on support page as a  H-Joshua-H61-uATX (Joshua).  There are several old threads concerning adding a graphics card.  From the specs I found for that PC, there is only integrated graphics, correct?  No graphics card?  If there was a graphics card installed, list the make and model.

Actually the fact that it is an old motherboard, the problem is because of that.  If you look here, this sites lists the graphics cards that will be compatible with that motherboard.

https://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/HP/HP_H-Joshua-H61-uATX/2198/Compatible_GPUs

My guess is the graphics card you installed was not one from that list.  The only way to use a different graphics card from the ones listed, is to change the motherboard to a non-OEM and go for a retail version.  The retail versions will provide an avenue for using a possibly newer graphics card, depending on the choice made.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

I believe your question is not worded exactly correct.  But on to the answer.  That motherboard is listed on support page as a  H-Joshua-H61-uATX (Joshua).  There are several old threads concerning adding a graphics card.  From the specs I found for that PC, there is only integrated graphics, correct?  No graphics card?  If there was a graphics card installed, list the make and model.

Actually the fact that it is an old motherboard, the problem is because of that.  If you look here, this sites lists the graphics cards that will be compatible with that motherboard.

https://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/HP/HP_H-Joshua-H61-uATX/2198/Compatible_GPUs

My guess is the graphics card you installed was not one from that list.  The only way to use a different graphics card from the ones listed, is to change the motherboard to a non-OEM and go for a retail version.  The retail versions will provide an avenue for using a possibly newer graphics card, depending on the choice made.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi TheOldMan, thanks for your reply.

My current graphics card is an: AMD Radeon HD 7570 (Not on the list) and the one I want to use is a GTX 660 TI (the 660 is on the list does the ti matter?)

Using msinfo, this is what is listed:

BaseBoard Manufacturer: Foxconn
BaseBoard Product: 2ADA
BaseBoard Version: 1.00

HP Recommended

Here is the motherboard page

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp-pavilion-p6-2300-desktop-pc-series/5295969/model/5316381/doc...

The info you posted is also there.

The "TI" on a card usually means it is a step-up and supposed to be higher performance.

Did you say that with the GTX 660 TI did not give any video out?

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Yes, no video output with the better graphics card. The computer itself works perfectly with the current one and I put the graphics card in a different pc and that was working perfectly aswell.

HP Recommended

That is strange.  I found a thread concerning that motherboard, used in a different model PC, but here is the thread

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Miscellaneous-Topics-Read-Only/Is-joshua-h61-uatx-compatible-with-Nvid...

Check the BIOS version that is installed.  If it has a 8.** version, then that might have something to do with it.

Also, depending on the brand GeForce GTX 660 Ti, it might require an additional power connection vs the old card.  Check for a 6 or 8 pin power connection somewhere near the back of the card.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I did update my BIOS to the latest version after checking the HP website but I think it was for Windows 8.1 as I couldn't set my os to windows 10. The Graphics Card does require a better power supply than the original which I have installed and it did power everything including the graphics card fine.

MSInfo:

BIOS Version/Date: AMI 8.20, 08/01/2015

HP Recommended

BIOS Version/Date: AMI 8.20, 08/01/2015 is the latest I saw for that motherboard.  Since you know the card works in another PC, try setting the BIOS to Legacy and then try the card again.

BTW: it might be necessary to install the other card or use the integrated graphics to see in the BIOS to make those changes.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

As I use HDMI for graphics I can't change the BIOS to legacy mode but I have just tried wiping my AMD drivers from my system and swapping the cards over and it just black screens. I'm going to have to assume the GTX 660 TI is just not compatible with the motherboard, looking at the list again as I can see other cards list both the base version and TI versions where compatible that fact the 660 is listed but the 660 TI is not it must just not be compatible. I'll have to either get a new motherboard or a graphics card from the list

Thanks for you help TheOldMan.

I'll mark your original reply as the solution

HP Recommended

Let us know how this works out, if you persue additional steps.

Since you have the 8.20 BIOS installed, you should be able to use a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti and not have to change the motherboard or power supply as they (depending on the make ) can use a 300w power supply.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.