Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming 790-0109
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just purchase a HP Pavilion Gaming 790-0109 (256SSD and 3Tb hdd inside), and i want to add a third hard drive SATA. There is 2 bay available for a 3rd and 4th hard drive but the cable are not in this PC!

How can I get the good cable configuration ?

Which  "cable model" have I to purchase for this PC ?

Where can I get these cables? 

Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@GagnonMontreuil,

The complete cable is HP part number: L22273-001.

Here is a discussion and wiring scheme. I do not warranty or imply.

If you find a source. please PM that to me.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@GagnonMontreuil It looks like you should be able to connect an extra hard drive into the storage tray as shown in the below image, however, the cables (if not present) should come with the hard drive of your choice, if you haven't received the cables, you can order one using the local store of your choice, depending on the hard drive configuration:

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

a) I want to use a hard drive from my old computer, so I don't have a cable coming with the hard drive. PCs normally come with available basic SATA cables for the motherboard provided.

b) I have tried to find which type of cable to choose on your HP site and no mention helps us to find it!

c) I open the PC and check on the motherboard , I then found that I needed two cables:
    - A Fem to Fem SATA 7 Pin Data Cable..
    - A SATA 15 Pin to Mini 6 Pin ATX: I find this cable but it seem that it is not the good one...  :(((

When I plug it all fans on the PC are ON and the PC do not boot....   :(((

The cable I bought is https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07CK8QP68/ref=pe_3034960_233709270_TE_item?language=en_CA

Can you help me ?

Regards,

Francois

HP Recommended

@GagnonMontreuil I must let you know that HP does not recommend upgrades or hardware changes as the device is equipped with parts that perform at its optimal performance by design, that said, the upgradeable parts listed by HP articles are purely for your ease as the decision to upgrade will be at your own discretion.

That out of the way, we do not supply cables for upgrade, as we don't recommend them, hence you will have to get one if you ever wish to upgrade, ideally, it comes with the new drive, and I understand your drive is from an older device, however, you can use the same cables as well, if its different from that of the HP device, get a converter (found at the local store)

I personally suggest you check with a local tech for upgrades to be on a safe side before you invest on anything else.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I inserted my old SATA in place of the 3tb hard drive supplied with the PC and it works perfectly!

So my old HDD is not a problem.

The only answer I need is to know which cable model to use between the motherboard and a very "standard" SATA drive.

(The cable from motherboard  labeled  "Sata power" ( six-pin mini  "Male") to a standard SATA 15pin  (Fem).

GagnonMontreuil_0-1579653390048.png

Since HP sells this type of motherboard it would be interesting to obtain this information for all your customers.

Note: I am a local tech,

Regards,
Francois

HP Recommended

@GagnonMontreuil,

The complete cable is HP part number: L22273-001.

Here is a discussion and wiring scheme. I do not warranty or imply.

If you find a source. please PM that to me.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thank you Wb2001 !!!  

The solution works very well!    🙂

I hope that HP will offer a suitable cable on its website (maybe one of these days ...), that way we will not have to modify a cable manually. For the moment HP has done nothing to help us solve this problem.

Below is a summary of the steps to follow:

================================

a) Get the following cable:   

https://www.amazon.ca/Mini-SATA-broches-mini-pin-2x/dp/B07CK8QP68/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_fr_CA=%C3%85M%C3%8...

b)  You have to modified the 6 pins wiring scheme:

wiring scheme.

xxx

Black(G)     Red              n/c

n/c               Black(G)    Yellow 

(I just tied the Orange wire )

c) Plug everything and it work very well!!!  🙂

See:  discussion and wiring scheme.

Regards.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.