Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-00xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This Ryzen 2400g system is delivered with a GPU which is working great but the unused integrated graphics (Radeon RX Vega 11) still appears to reserve system memory as delivered. The BIOS does not appear to offer any options under ADVANCED to disable the integrated graphics or to reduce the memory used. As delivered, the system reserved 1024MB, leaving me with just under 7GB usable system memory. In hopes that the problem had been addressed by a BIOS update, I installed the update that the HP support assistant was recommending (BIOS Version: AMI F.21 12/12/2018) successfully. Unfortunately, I still don't have a BIOS option to disable or reduce integrated graphics reserved memory and it's now reserving 2048MB (per the AMD Radeon settings system information) and Windows is now reporting only 5.92 GB usable memory out of the 8GB installed. I'd really like to get the quarter of my installed memory back. All help appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Try a BIOS reset first and see if it helps! Also loading the BIOS defaults...

HP propietary custom motherboards and BIOS...you dont have much options to set there!

Mike
HP Pavilion 590-p0026nq, Core i7-8700, 8GB, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060+Samsung 970 Evo Plus 256 GB NVMe
HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestions. The limited HP propietary motherboard/BIOS options are somewhat frustrating but not unexpected, though I would have thought they would have configured this system with the integrated graphics disabled or at least using minimal memory. I was thinking of adding a second 8GB memory stick in the second slot, anyway, so this just means I'll probably decide to do this sooner. So far, any limitation from the limited memory has been more than outweighed by the improvement of the processor,  RX 580 and SSD over my old system.

HP Recommended

I see other people have reported this sissue in a different forum.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Desktops/The-RAM-shortage-for-hp-pavilion-690-0024/td-p/6988875

HP Recommended

I'm in the same boat.  Chatted with support and they said my only recourse is to buy support from Smartfriend support.

Not pleased with that response.  Just going to buy another 8 gig stick and wait for that magic update to fix this sometime in the distant future.

HP Recommended

Aside from purchasing more ram, did you ever get any additional help on this?  While turning off readyplay returned a gig of ram... continuing to lose the remaining chunk to a video card you don't intend to use is nuts.

HP Recommended

No, I still haven't received any action on this. Installing the extra ram has largely made the problem invisible but it would still be nice if they could fix this with a firmware update, The recent update allowing us to get about half of the reserved memory back is a step in the right direction. Failing a firmware final fix, reimbursing us for additional memory added (about $60 in my case) or providing a similarly valued coupon for a future HP purchase would go a long away to restoring good will.

HP Recommended

This appears not to be an issue with the BIOS, but an issue with AGESA (or, AMD Generic Encapsulated Software Architecture), and poor support for the AMD Promontory FCH chipset, which the HP Sunflower motherboard uses on the HP Pavilion 690-0024.

It appears AGESA is incapable of disabling the integrated graphics chipset inside of the CPU, because it does not support that function on the AMD Promontory FCH chipset, unlike other AMD chipsets, which can disable the integrated graphics chipset on the exact same included CPU, the AMD Ryzen 5 2400G, meaning it would be impossible for HP to actually fix this issue. Instead, AMD needs to issue an update to AGESA, fixing this issue, followed by sending AGESA to affected manufacturers (only two seem to use this chipset anyway, including HP), and HP releasing a firmware update that bundles the updated AGESA, solving the issue. The BIOS appears to include the code needed to disable the integrated GPU, and is even active in production firmware images, but the BIOS can't actually disable it thanks to AGESA, which, on this particular chipset, does not allow the BIOS to disable it. BIOS/UEFI and other low-level firmware for AMD motherboards is different than Intel motherboards thanks to AGESA, as a result, AMD maintains more control over the chipset than on Intel motherboards. AGESA is also responsible for very important initialization procedures on AMD's chipsets, so it makes perfect sense that it's more restricted than on Intel motherboards."

Source: @Photoray002 

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I saw DynacorpLTD's post too explaining his findings at https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Desktops/The-RAM-shortage-for-hp-pavilion-690-0024/m-p/7176204#...

I still hope that the combination of HP and AMD can issue firmware updates for the chipset and UEFI as needed to fix this. The issue remains that HP sold a machine advertised as having 8 GB of memory when a substantial portion was dedicated to an unused and mistakenly enabled integrated graphics unit. Whether HP did not catch this due to poor testing or decided to ship it anyway, in my opinion HP owes its customers compensation if it can not be fixed in a timely manner. If HP feels AMD bears blame, it can seek compensation from AMD.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.